Question Dell touchscreen laptop problem

papatuzz

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
This guy brought me a Dell Inspiron 5748 that will not start. Onscreen it shows the laptop is under patent etc. Then it says reboot and select proper boot device. It had Windows 8 and was upgraded to 10.

I went into the BIOS and it sees the hard drive but will not boot. I inserted a repair disk but it turns out the DVD drive is no good so I created a bootable thumb drive. When I try to boot from the thumb drive it goes through the normal stuff and when I click on repair your computer, it goes to the options of troubleshoot or shut down. In the options if I click Startup repair, it fails. If I click System restore it tells me to reboot and select a Windows installation. There is no system image to install because he never created one. I had thought that since the hard drive is detected in the BIOS I could rebuild the boot sector but the laptop isn't seeing the hard drive unless you're in the BIOS. I pulled the hard drive and put it in my computers hot swap bay and it found the drive quickly and opened it up.

For almost a year I've been working more on phones than computers and I guess I have forgotten what to do in this sort of circumstance...if I ever had it before. I'm not getting why the laptop sees the hard drive in the BIOS but not 'out' of the BIOS.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what's going on?

ASK THE COMMUNITY