Dell U3415W 34-Inch Ultra-Wide Curved Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015
That's because it's a 60Hz panel, not suitable for gaming. You'll naturally see stutterings, and artifacts and not to mention ghosting too, which overall will cause you headache anyway. It's not the exclusively monitors fault. :)

I game on an IPS, 1440p (16x9), 60Hz monitor and don't get stutter or artifacts. The response time of 5ms is fairly good and while it won't prevent blur it is better than mine and i rarely notice blur.

60Hz is definitely suitable for gaming. maybe not IDEAL, but I'm pretty sure there are millions of people (including those on HDTV's) that handle 60Hz just fine.

I also recommend curved for 21:9 ratio. With a screen this large if it's not curved at the distance I set the left and right edges do require head turning and ARE distorted more since the image gets further away as you go off center.

PRICE?
Reasonable for the quality of the panel and the professional it's aimed at. As said, it's not meant for gamers though most would have a great experience IMO.

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015

That maybe because your GPU don't overkill 60FPS, but yeah, it isn't ideal, but decent for gaming.

Not sure what your point is, but mine is that you were saying 60Hz is not suitable for gaming which is nonsense. Probably 98% of the world is gaming on 60Hz screens. All HDTV's have 60Hz inputs (even for "120Hz/240Hz" HDTV's as that is motion smoothing of the input but not suitable for gaming anyway).

And you don't get STUTTER or ARTIFACTS due to the refresh rate of the monitor. You get stutter if the game is coded badly or you run VSYNC ON and drop below the refresh rate (i.e. 59FPS or below at 60Hz). Artifacts have multiple causes including bad code and defective memory but not because it's a 60Hz monitor.

It's a GREAT monitor for gaming, and far better than most people have. However, the cost is high because it's designed for professionals with different needs.

The best monitor thus far for gaming is probably the Acer Predator (GSYNC, 2560x1440, 4ms, IPS).

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've only been gaming happily at 60 Hz like forever. It would be nice to have one of the 144 Hz gaming monitors but the thing is they only come in one flavor and that's 27". I went from a surround setup using three 24" monitors @ 5760x1080 @ 60 Hz to a 30" Apple Cinema display running 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz. On the surround setup I had to make trade off's and run BF4 on high to medium settings and averaged 71 fps using a GTX 690. With the 30" Apple I could crank the setting up using Geforce Experience to a mix of ultra and high setting and average 130 fps. I got the Dell 34" on sale at Newegg for $809.00 yesterday. $899.00 with a instant $90.00 off promo code. The plan is to drive it with two MSI GTX 980 ti 6G gaming cards on a Asus Rog X99 platform. Word is that this monitor will overclock to 75 Hz. After going surround and 30 inches @ 2560x1600 it would be hard to go down to a 27 inch monitor no matter what hertz it ran at.

Status
Not open for further replies.