Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitor: The $1300 UP2414Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweezled

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
This is a joke right? Dell making yet another mockery of the monitor market.

Why oh why when you can get the latest 10-bit AH-IPS technology in the 2560 x 1600 30" Crossover Black Tune 30x for $700?

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

You obviously miss the point of this monitor. The whole point of a 24" 4K monitor is the pixel density. The fact that it's 8-bit and not 10-bit probably isn't going to bother a whole ton of people and if 4K and 10-bit is what you need than you'd be looking at the Dell Ultrasharp UP3214Q anyway. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ultrasharp-32-up3214q-review,3744-7.html

Treynolds416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I love the super indepth articles you guys do, but it would be nice if you also did more reviews about less expensive things, like cases. I mean, it's interesting to read about a $1k monitor but it would be more helpful to more people if you did a case roundup or a higher volume of reviews about them. You don't have to stop making monitor reviews or anything because it's certainly not hurting anyone, but it seems like there are more articles about expensive monitors that most people can't buy/don't have a use for in lieu of articles about more fundamental pieces of computer hardware.
Just my two cents

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
$1300 for a simple panel is a joke, specially when "From our experience so far, these 4K monitors work well, but still have some maturing to do." Thank you for the straightforward, no nonsense review. I'll wait.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Ahh, 24" 4k monitors are a reality now. Antialiasing in games is soon to be a thing of the past. Which is relieving, because that makes the task on graphics cards a lot more manageable.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
(quote thing isn't working for me)
"Ahh, 24" 4k monitors are a reality now. Antialiasing in games is soon to be a thing of the past. Which is relieving, because that makes the task on graphics cards a lot more manageable. "

It actually makes it worse if not does nothing. 4K is the equivalent, almost, of 1080p using SSAAx4. MSAA is a lot cheaper and most games are resorting to FXAA or MLAA because it's incredibly cheap, works with any rendering method (Deferred rendering doesn't play nice with MSAA), and the quality is almost as good.

dweezled

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
To S3amister: First of all I didn't miss the point of this article. I get monitor resolutions. The point is that 4k is the next gimmick made up by the big TV and monitor manufacturers as the "next big thing" to try to get suckers like you to buy into resolutions that the human eye can't even distinguish. You're going to tell me that you can tell a difference between WQHD and 4K? Nonsense. Maybe if you have a 60" screen but with a 24" screen? No way. Get real pal.

alaskana

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
I lust for a 4k monitor in 24 inch, but it must be a 16:10. I currently use the Dell U2412M in vertical mode for word processing, searching eBay, a LOT of searching eBay, etc. I love its 16:10. I previously had a 16:9 and used it in vertical viewing, but it was too narrow. The first 4k 24 inch in 16:10, which pivots to vertical, I will buy in a heartbeat.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I'm tired of the 4k Hype! I want mainstream affordable 1440p monitors!

Why limit yourself to that poor mans 2560 x 1600 res? After using a 30 inch for over 3 years im ready to jump to 4K and quarter of an inch sized icons on my display..More real estate.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I'm tired of the 4k Hype! I want mainstream affordable 1440p monitors!

Why limit yourself to that poor mans 2560 x 1600 res? After using a 30 inch for over 3 years im ready to jump to 4K and quarter of an inch sized icons on my display..More real estate.

I don't know what all the moaning is about reviewing a monitor that is $1K plus. For those that want cheaper monitors reviewed did you ever stop to think that a review like this will persuade people with the funds to buy one which in turn will make them cheaper. I for one would love to own a 4k monitor however I wont pay 1K for one so keep the reviews coming so we can get mass production up on these over the next year or two.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I understand that the whole point of this review is for 4k monitors. But since it was equally pointed out in the beginning of the review that this is squarely aimed at photographers and other imaging professionals, why not do a shootout with these Dells against some non 4k competition from NEC or Eizo for that matter. Now there is a review I would love to see.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
@dweezled

no, its not hype, at least not on the pc market place. sure in the living room even 1080p is overkill for most people, however pc you are sitting within 3 feet of the monitor. however, im on a 24 inch screen right now, and a shift from 100dpi to... what would it be 400... yea that isnt happening.

however, a shift from 1920x1200 @ 24 inches to 3840x2160@ 45-50 inches would be something that i would look into. it would have roughly the same dpi as my current monitor but so much more real estate that its retarded. i don't like multimonitor setups, so one monitor thats as much real estate as 4... that gets my attention.

Jeff Relf

Reputable
May 20, 2014
As I read the reviews
( eXtremeTech, TomsHardware, NewEgg, Amazon )
for this monitor ( UP2414Q ),
I'm struck by this ·Amazing· fact:

No one swivels it portrait.
    No one even tries it, no reviews.

To swivel portrait, DisplayPort 1.2
·must· remain off ( it's the default )···
leaving you with a jittery 29 Hz.

When the camera pans, in a video, it jitters.

This sucks, big time,
and it has nothing to do with your video card,
be it a $430 Quadro K2000 or a $160 Quadro K600.

Still, I keep it portrait, so I can see more text
when editing/browsing in a maximized window.

Someday, I'll have a 120Hz, 4K/UHD, IPS monitor.

Windows, all versions, has the following problem
with DisplayPort monitors:

When you turn off the monitor,
    Windows thinks it's unplugged/gone···
    so it lowers the resolution.

As a result, small·windows and icons
    get moved up and to the left
    and/or resized.

Status
Not open for further replies.