Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch

Anybody got one of these bad boys??? Is it worth $1200? 12ms response
time, WOW. With PIP and PBP (not sure what that is, screen split in half?)
can I be watching TV on this while using the PC? 4 USB ports and card
readers too. Gonna dream about this one tonight! ;-)

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor
with Height Adjustable Stand
$1,199.00

The DellT UltraSharpT 2405FPW 24-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor is a wide
aspect desktop display that redefines the performance of LCD displays with a
stylish new design and advanced functionality. Watch DVDs in natural format
and run multiple applications simultaneously. Improve productivity with less
scrolling and toggling. The 2405FPW wide aspect LCD also provides 12 ms
response time to enable crisp clear images when using the display for fast
motion video such as gaming or video editing. With 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2
located on the side, the 2405FPW gives users convenient access points to
plug in devices such as keyboards, digital cameras, secondary hard drives
and printers. Integrated 9-in-1 flash card reader allows easy access to
download photos or files. It also supports advanced features such as PIP
(picture in picture) and PBP (picture by picture). With 3.93 inches (100 mm)
of height adjustment virtually every user can adjust the display to their
exact comfort level and help reduce eye and neck strain.
To optimize this monitor's performance, your system must be able to support
WUXGA resolution (1920x1200).

Product Highlights

a.. Clear, sharp images at a maximum resolution of up to 1920x1200 pixels
b.. Wide aspect panel improves productivity with less scrolling and
toggling
c.. Supports advanced features like PIP (Picture in Picture) and PBP
(Picture By Picture)
d.. 4 USB 2.0 ports - two located on the side of the display for easy
attachment/detachment of peripherals
e.. 9-in-1 Flash card reader on side of the display
f.. Add multimedia capability to DellT UltraSharpT 2405FPW display with
the optional AS500 sound bar
g.. Dell-branded monitors undergo exhaustive testing for performance,
reliability, durability and compatibility with DellT systems
h.. Supported by DellT Tech Support
DiagonalSize:24"
Display Type: Flat Panel Display / Active Matrix TFT - Desktop
Depth: 9"
Features: 100 mm VESA Mounting, Height Adjustable Stand Included,
Detachable Panel mechanism
Height: Compressed: 22", Extended: 25"
Weight: 22.1 lbs
Width: 22"
Image Max H-View Angle: ±89°
Image Max V-View Angle: ±89°
Color Support: 16.7 Million
Connectivity Technology: Cable
Device Type: Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand
Dimensions (WxDxH): 22" x 9" x 22" to 25"
Dimensions (WxDxH) / Weight: 22" x 9" x 22" to 25" / 22.1 lbs
Enclosure Color: Midnight Gray
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Image Brightness: 500 cd/m²(typical)
Image Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
Max Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
Max Sync Rate (V x H): 76 Hz x 81 kHz
Power Consumption Operational: 80 W (maximum)
Diagonal Size / Viewable Size: 24" / 24"
Port(s) Total (Free) / Connector Type: 15-pin D-sub / DVI-D /
S-video / Composite / Component / 4 x USB 2.0
Compatibility: PC

A few thoughts:

1, Dell had these for $999 a few weeks ago, wait for lower prices.
Check the various deal sites for coupons, %off, etc..

2. Make sure you video card can handle it

3. Depending on your application 2 monitors (dualview) might work.
1905FPs were under $300, so two would be under $600

I'm not in the market for one of these,
but at $700-750 I might be, not $1200

Jess wrote:
> Anybody got one of these bad boys??? Is it worth $1200? 12ms response
> time, WOW. With PIP and PBP (not sure what that is, screen split in half?)
> can I be watching TV on this while using the PC? 4 USB ports and card
> readers too. Gonna dream about this one tonight! ;-)

i don't own one but this LCD this is no 1 on my list of things i want to
waste money on ;)

i've heard nothing but great reviews about the monitor itself... better
than apple's range even, but some who are used to working with CRTs in a
dark room/studio environment say it can be a little bright.

be aware that 1920x1200 is a very high resolution so i think u'd want at
least a 6800GT to push the 2.3 million pixels around... that's just a
guess though, i have a 6600GT, not sure how well it would do in gaming
at that res, if i go over 1280x1024 in modern 3D games the frame rate
starts to choke. SLI is not an option with DVI widescreen yet,
apparently there is a major display glitch nVidia is aware of but hasn't
fixed yet.