Dell Ultrasharp U2412M gaming

TheGerben

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M is good for gaming. It has 8ms response time, I heard this is bad for gaming.

I play BF4, not as a pro. K/D is 2. I don't want to have a disadvantage, however I'm not a pro. At the moment I have a 2ms monitor.... will I notice a difference?

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you,
Gerben

~English isn't my first language~

Solution
Hi and welcome to the forums!

the response time isn't actually a key factor in monitors, it's about input lag. 8ms, though i sounds to be bad, isn't. The reason for such a high ms response rate is that the monitor is an IPS screen, much better then your current TN panel 2ms screen, that's for sure. IPS screens are the more "modern" type of screens, which tend to have at least a 5ms response time, with better colours and a more sharp/crisp image, much better then any TN screen. The resolution is also much better 1920x1200, which is a lot more pixels then 1920x1080. So in short the dell Ultrasharp monitor is a much better screen then your current monitor.

Hope this helps.

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
That screen is an IPS screen. Everything will look look really pretty. Also note that is a 16:10 ratio monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 as normal monitors. This is nice for gaming but means your computer has to work slightly harder to create more pixels so slightly lower fps.

Will this monitor make you any worse at BF ... No .. Will it make you any better .. No.

Please refer her to Toms nice article comparing some TN vs IPS monitors including the Dell one ...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/s242hl-bid-u2412m-t24a550,review-32313-14.html

TheGerben

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Hey, thank you!

Ok, do you know how many FPS? About 10? I don't have a very good GPU, I can run BF4 at medium at 75FPS.

I don't have to get better, I just want that BF4 looks good.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

the response time isn't actually a key factor in monitors, it's about input lag. 8ms, though i sounds to be bad, isn't. The reason for such a high ms response rate is that the monitor is an IPS screen, much better then your current TN panel 2ms screen, that's for sure. IPS screens are the more "modern" type of screens, which tend to have at least a 5ms response time, with better colours and a more sharp/crisp image, much better then any TN screen. The resolution is also much better 1920x1200, which is a lot more pixels then 1920x1080. So in short the dell Ultrasharp monitor is a much better screen then your current monitor.

Hope this helps.

Solution

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

Monitors generally run at 60hz ... this means they can produce 60fps maximum. If you are running BF4 @ 75fps then this means you aren't even seeing 15frames that your computer is producing. The higher resolution wont make much difference (a few frames). BF4 will look alot nicer on an IPS screen than a TN panel for sure.

If you want a verdict I would buy the Dell for sure. Its a lovely panel.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I'm willing the bet the Dell IPS has significantly more input lag, which will greatly reduce your gaming experience. I've never played on an IPS that has as little input lag as a TN panel does. The colors will look better, yes, but good luck hitting headshots. I would not recommend an UltraSharp for FPS gaming. It's designed for office work related tasks and focuses on color accuracy. It is not designed to be a quick responding performance monitor.

TheGerben

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Hmm, I don't know.

Somebody agrees with him?

However thank you and everybody for his help! I'll pick the best answer soon.

TheGerben

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Hmm, I don't know.

Somebody agrees with him?

However thank you and everybody for his help! I'll pick the best answer soon.

Oct 7, 2014
if you are a photographer or graphic designer avoid as much as possible U2412M. it's about luck to find one that does not have blue tint, red or dark corners. even Dell accept as normal a variation of 20% from center to edges, which is ridiculous.