Dell Ultrasharps - Does the slightly higher response time really make a difference?

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hey guys.
I'm purchasing a monitor in the next few weeks and I came to the conclusion that I really like the Dell U2414H, beautiful design, build quality, warranty, great sharpness and colour reproduction, but by looking at forums that talk about monitors like this for gaming I see alot of people saying: "8ms is too much", "it's not for gaming", then there are some other people who say you won't notice a difference. So my question really is, does it Really make a difference? Should I buy a inferior monitor, with an inferior panel type(TN) in every way possible except for a few millisecond difference in response time?
My main use for the monitor will be gaming, but I would like the games to look more colour accurate than they would with a TN. I play many types of games (FPS,RTS,MOBA,etc) sometimes competitively. Will I notice difference with ghosting in quick motion or is this difference of a few MS just marketing bullshit?

Thank you for reading.

Best regards,
Dave

Solution
Don't base any purchasing decisions on marketed numbers for monitors. Honestly its the best case scenario they can provide most times(depends on company).

Tftcentral reviews are usually what I base my purchasing decisions on. Well, that and budget. They do indepth testing and have favorable things to say about that particular monitor in gaming scenarios. Heres a link if you want to read more: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah that's what everybody seems to believe but no one seems to explain exactly why is that, or how much of a difference it makes. I would like to know if those 3ms difference ( 5 to 8 ) have any impact, because we are talking about milliseconds here.

iron8orn

Admirable
Milliseconds do matter when your talking about gpu, cpu, ram, monitor all working together.

I read a article about it that I cant find right now. You wont always refresh at the same rate and i think it was like at 15ms or so ghosting will appear.

It is really just as simple as 8ms will periodically cause ghosting. 5ms is a sweet spot for good performance and some people will only use 1-2ms that demand competition level gaming systems.

Don't base any purchasing decisions on marketed numbers for monitors. Honestly its the best case scenario they can provide most times(depends on company).

Tftcentral reviews are usually what I base my purchasing decisions on. Well, that and budget. They do indepth testing and have favorable things to say about that particular monitor in gaming scenarios. Heres a link if you want to read more: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Solution