Question Dell Venue 11 Pro - eMMC Boot Problem - Windows 10 Pro

Feb 15, 2019
System: Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 32bit / Windows 10 Pro / 32GB eMMc Drive / 2GB RAM / BIOS A20

System was working fine since last 2/3 years without any issue. Last night I left it open on its dock and morning I can only see the screen with following message:
_
No bootable devices found.
Press F1/VolumeUp key to retry boot.
Press F2/VolumeDown key for setup utility.
Press F5/ Homen key to run onboard diagnostics.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright......

When I pressed F1, I got the same message again.
When I pressed F2 and went into Setup/Settings, click on Boot Sequence, I got a blank page / no information available.
When I pressed F5 and went into Pre-boot System Assessment, I got eMMc test failure with following message:
___
Error Code : 2000-0156
Validation : 121452
Msg: eMMC Drive - Short eMMC read test unsuccessful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that,

First time: I try to reinstall Windows from USB (made by Windows 10 media creation tool). System gave me 32bit/64bit option to install and when I click on install I just got a dead blue screen and it did not go further. I tried 2/3 times but result was same.

Second time: I attached the system to dock (thought the USB slot is not working) and put Windows USB in dock USB slot and start the system. Unintentionally, there is an external hard drive was attached to dock via another USB slot and when I power-on the system, the lights of external hard drive start blinking and then full on. (Seems like the system trying to boot from external hard drive, but it was failure as there is no Windows files in external hard drive.) Than after few seconds, the system again gave me 32bit/64bit option to install Windows and when I click on install, its detect the in-built eMMC drive (2 partitions) with external hard drive. At this point, I detached the tablet from dock and restart it without any bootable or external USB drives. It again gave me same message i.e. No bootable devices found.

I attached Windows bootable USB again and restart without external hard drive. System again gave me 32bit/64bit option to install Windows and when I click on install, its detect the in-built eMMC drive (2 partitions) and gave me option to install Windows. I choose the same partition on eMMC drive (where the Windows was installed previously) and did clean installation of Windows. All Installation process complete normally on eMMC drive..i.e copying file..Getting files ready for installation..Installing features..Installing updates..Getting finish..than final RESTART.

After restart, screen again come Windows installation setup as Windows bootable USB was still plug-in . I removed the Windows installation USB and restart

And after restart, I again got the following message:
_
Press F1/VolumeUp key to retry boot.
Press F2/VolumeDown key for setup utility.
Press F5/ Homen key to run onboard diagnostics.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the above process 4 times. It install all windows on eMMC drive, but at last restart, if I left Windows bootable USB plug-in, system again come to installation screen. And if I removed the USB, it provide "No bootable devices found." message as mentioned above.

Can anybody help on this issue?

Best regards.

Tablets or "cloud books" using eMMC are highly integrated, meaning the storage is built into the board and not replaceable without replacing the whole motherboard. This type of storage is one of a few flash based formats (like USB drives and SD cards but in the case of these devices, not a separate component). The problems you're facing indicate a failed eMMC volume, which can't be solved without replacing it - in this case meaning the entire main board. If you don't feel up to doing this or getting a repair shop to do it, it would be easier to get a new device. Unfortunately, when this type of memory fails it's extremely likely any information on it that wasn't backed up is gone permanently.

I just re-read your OP closely to understand the issue better. Since there was a failed test result in the diagnostics and other issues I'd be wary of the drive, but let me suggest a couple of steps. Check the boot settings in the BIOS are correct (Windows boot manager as #1). Next time you try to install, delete all partitions and start completely fresh (the Windows installer will create a new set).

Feb 15, 2019
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I cant see any Windows Boot Manager in boot setting in system BIOS, which I think the actual problem with this tablet. How to restore Windows Boot Manager? I tried fresh / clean installation many times. Windows create all partitions as required and installed Windows normally..i.e copying file..Getting files ready for installation..Installing features..Installing updates..Getting finish..than final RESTART.

And after restart, I again got the following same message:

Just to let you know, now I am running Windows from USB (Windows to Go) on same system and its running good. The eMMC is also detecting in My Computer and working fine as Partition. But I am unable boot Windows from that eMMC.

I think the main issue is missing Windows Boot Manager in system BIOS. Please provide me some solution if you know any. Thank you.

Best regards.

I'd still be a bit wary of this system. A diagnostic failure doesn't come out of nowhere, and the boot manager should automatically be generated in the course of a windows install.

However, the next step would be to restore the BIOS to defaults (there should be a key in the BIOS settings to accomplish this - either an option under exit and/or a function key, e.g., press F9 or F10 or whatever to restore defaults). Another option is to update the BIOS from the Dell website (use the working Windows to Go), at https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-venue-11-pro/drivers

Also, make sure you're installing a version of Windows that is compatible. As I see this tablet has 32 or 64 bit varieties and you specify the 32 bit in the OP, make sure 32 bit Windows is installed.