Dell vostro 260 Gpu

Frazzle322

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,

I have a dell vostro 260 with a quad core i5 2400. I want to update the graphics and I upgraded the power supply to a crosair vs550. I bought the radion rx460 nitro 4Gb gpu but when properly installed the fans and lights turnd on but the monitor says no signal input. Thinking there was an issue with the card I returned it to the shop and they tested it. Wile this being away and reading on forums it turns out there where a bios and chipset update. I downloaded these and as I'm awaiting the cards return I'm thinking if it doesn't work what gpu will run well in my Machine. And if not and needed to get a new motherboard weather my current prosseser i5 2400 would need replacing ?

Please note I'm running windows 10 latest version as of 2017.

Thank you.

Solution

Many last generation cards and from two generations back for sure will work on legacy BIOS. You will need a new CPU to run in a new motherboard. You would need to check the specific card. For a 460 class speed, the nVidia 750Ti should do it or GTX 950. The issue with moving platform is that you would likely need a new case unless your system has standard case connections for power and USB. Aside from that, see if the BIOS update helps you.
If your BIOS is the legacy type, it may not work, many if not all new video cards need the UEFI BIOS. So you have two options, get a slightly older video card, or move to a modern platform (1150 or 1151 socket, or wait for the new AMD and Intel chips to be on the market).

Frazzle322

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
By older, do you mean around 2012-2014 ish. equally if i was to get a new mother board as this is running the legacy would i have to get a new cpu or would i have to stay in the i5 2nd gen of board.
again, thanks :)

Many last generation cards and from two generations back for sure will work on legacy BIOS. You will need a new CPU to run in a new motherboard. You would need to check the specific card. For a 460 class speed, the nVidia 750Ti should do it or GTX 950. The issue with moving platform is that you would likely need a new case unless your system has standard case connections for power and USB. Aside from that, see if the BIOS update helps you.

Solution

Paul_440

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I'm having the same issue on a Vostro 260 with core I3 2120. The card is an AMD r7 360. I have updated to the latest bios (A10) and it still won't recognize the card.

May 23, 2019
Hi, apologies for digging up an old thread but I'm in the same situation. I have a Dell Vostro 260 MT with a Core i5 processor, I've updated the Bios to A10 and upgraded the PSU to a 500W one, upgraded to 8 GB of RAM and now I want to upgrade the graphics card.

I already own a Radeon R265 but when I try that I get no signal to either the onboard graphics or the video card.

I have now learned that my MOBO does not support UEFI which means that all R series cards will not work.

So my question is......what is the most powerful/newest/best card that is guaranteed to work in this system?