Dell Vostro 430 graphics card upgrade

Feb 21, 2018
Hi,

Just wanted you to know that I've successfully upgraded my 2009 Dell Vostro 430 to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI Gaming X 4G) graphics card.

Before I bought the card I did some research on the web, but wasn't really sure that it would work on such an old machine. Apart from an unexplainable system hang on the first boot after the card was installed, everything has been working really well so far!

Since the system is pretty old (i7 860 CPU), you can't expect it to perform as well as the more recent platforms, but so far Subnautica and Overwatch is running surprisingly smooth and fast in 1080p with all graphics details set to High. The previous card - Nvidia GTX 650 Ti - struggled to deliver high frame rates with Medium detail settings. The performance gain is really significant!

I should mention that I upgraded a few components about five years back to 2x8GB 1066 RAM and an 256 SSD. I was not sure what would be the bottleneck in my upgrade, but the 1050 Ti seems to be a good component to increase overall gaming performance. Some games will probably suffer from medium CPU and motherboard performance, but a faster graphics card will not make any difference. Another plus for the 1050 is it's low power consumption, which is important in a machine with an old PSU.

Anyway: I recommend this $200 upgrade to get a decent 1080p gaming machine.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Always glad to hear from a satisfied upgrader... no matter the age of the system. Yes, the GTX 1050 Ti has been able to bring many an older, otherwise useless PC back to gaming viability. And do it on most OEM PSUs. I've done a few OEM PC upgrades myself with the 1050 Ti. Can't wait to see what Nvidia has in store for a 1050 Ti replacement in the next gen ;)

NotBadEy

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

Whered you buy your card? Im trying to upgrade my card at the moment

TRENDING THREADS