Dell Wireless 1450 or Intel PRO/Wireless 2200?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I am trying to figure out whether to get the Dell Wireles 1450 which
has 802.11a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 which has 802.11b/g.

I'm inclined to go with the Dell option because it gives me 802.11a.
What's the penalty for going with Dell? Does it use more power because
it's not certified "Centrino"? Does the Intel option have a better
radio (can go farther)?

Thanks!
John

The Centrino should be more power efficient and your battery will last
longer.

"John" <johnfofawn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to figure out whether to get the Dell Wireles 1450 which
> has 802.11a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 which has 802.11b/g.
>
> I'm inclined to go with the Dell option because it gives me 802.11a.
> What's the penalty for going with Dell? Does it use more power because
> it's not certified "Centrino"? Does the Intel option have a better
> radio (can go farther)?
>
> Thanks!
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for your reply. Any idea how much more efficient the Centrino is?

John

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<%1C8d.2755$q%7.810@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
> The Centrino should be more power efficient and your battery will last
> longer.
>
> "John" <johnfofawn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to figure out whether to get the Dell Wireles 1450 which
> > has 802.11a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 which has 802.11b/g.
> >
> > I'm inclined to go with the Dell option because it gives me 802.11a.
> > What's the penalty for going with Dell? Does it use more power because
> > it's not certified "Centrino"? Does the Intel option have a better
> > radio (can go farther)?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > John

No it won't be. Centrino is just a marketing name, nothing more. The Dell
would also be fine.

That said, 802.11a is, for the most part dead, so I'd go with whichever is
cheaper.

Tom

http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/battery.htm?iid=ipp_note+mobiletech_battery&

> Thanks for your reply. Any idea how much more efficient the Centrino is?
>
> John
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The Centrino should be more power efficient and your battery will last
>> longer.
>>
>> "John" <johnfofawn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to figure out whether to get the Dell Wireles 1450 which
>> > has 802.11a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 which has 802.11b/g.
>> >
>> > I'm inclined to go with the Dell option because it gives me 802.11a.
>> > What's the penalty for going with Dell? Does it use more power because
>> > it's not certified "Centrino"? Does the Intel option have a better
>> > radio (can go farther)?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > John

clint

I've heard that 802.11a is coming back, primarily because it's not on the
2.4GHz range, which means there's less interference with every other
wireless device. Whether this rumor is true or not, I can't say. Here's a
link for your viewing pleasure, though:
http://news.com.com/Centrino+to+connect+with+all+Wi-Fi+standards/2100-7351_3-5325419.html?tag=st.rc.targ_mb

Clint