Question Dell Wireless 1830 woes...

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Hi all. I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light, or provide me with a starting point for solving a problem. I have a Dell XPS15 i7 with built in Dell Wireless 1830 802.11ac. I have no problem activating or disabling the adapter, or getting that adapter to connect to my router. I can remove it in device manager, and plug and play always finds it and installs it - so I'm fairly happy that the actual hardware is not at fault.

What actually happens though is that it will be working fine, and it will then just stop sending or receiving anything for minutes at a time which is a real arse when streaming or browsing the web - but whilst still connected to the router etc. I've tried updating the drivers but this seems to have no effect, and I've had a look at all of the settings for the adapter under device manager, but changing these worries me.

This started after one of the recent major Windows 10 updates from MS so I'm sure they have f*cked it up somewhere, but I also thought perhaps a virus etc. but I'm pretty sure it's not. I have had a look through some of the logs, but nothing jumps out, and I'm now actually having to use a 5g usb dongle as a replacement for the built in Wi-Fi - and that works without issue, but I'd rather then internal WiFi worked correctly.

Was hoping someone my have seen this before, or perhaps can point me in the direction of what a cause of it might be (generally).

Many thanks in advance.

I hate to say it, but you might want to try using older drivers for that device.
Had a similar case with a Dell server NIC a little while ago and Dell Support actually advised to down grade to older firmware and drivers, which did correct the issue.
Worth a shot perhaps.

Reactions: svalbaard

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I hate to say it, but you might want to try using older drivers for that device.
Had a similar case with a Dell server NIC a little while ago and Dell Support actually advised to down grade to older firmware and drivers, which did correct the issue.
Worth a shot perhaps.

Many thanks for this advice. I'll give that a shot, if I can find older drivers that is :)

Worth a shot perhaps.

Also make sure its not your router. My crap linksys router would look like was working when in fact was locked up. It would then reboot after a couple minutes. When i started checking my connections with other devices on the same ssid i saw the channel radio actually locked up. It would reboot every few minutes. Rinse repeat.