Dell Workstation T5400 or buy a server and use the parts?

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
I want to know if I should get a workstation (Dell T5400) or buy a server and use the parts in it. The workstation has 8gbs of RAM, two 3.16 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors with 12MB cache and 1.2tbs of storage. I might consider buying a Dell PowerEdge server regardless of the noise.

Solution
Yes, every day of the week. Taking a motherboard out of a 2U server can be a hassle. You still have to buy a power supply, figure out how all the peripheral connections connect, get new heat sinks, etc... etc... etc. 2U server motherboards may not have standard PCIe slots since they often use riser cards and horizontal expansion card placement.

Have you ever been in a small room with a 2U server? Especially an older one. Loud-- sorry I meant LOUD, hot -- again HOT, and heavy.

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

So you'd recommend a $400 workstation over a $300 2U server?

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, every day of the week. Taking a motherboard out of a 2U server can be a hassle. You still have to buy a power supply, figure out how all the peripheral connections connect, get new heat sinks, etc... etc... etc. 2U server motherboards may not have standard PCIe slots since they often use riser cards and horizontal expansion card placement.

Have you ever been in a small room with a 2U server? Especially an older one. Loud-- sorry I meant LOUD, hot -- again HOT, and heavy.

Solution