Review Dell XPS 13 Plus (9320) Review: Form and Capacitive Function

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
In creating this overpriced laptop, Dell somehow managed to combine the worst of Apple's MacBook's such as the touchbar and low travel keyboard in the last few years while leaving out the best such as 12+ hour battery life. At the same time, it's more expensive than the M2 Air as the M2 Air for $1900 has 1TB SSD and 16gb of RAM.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I agree with the review and score.
The single most important factor in an ultraportable (IMO) is battery life.
Dell pumped out a fancy product that is impractical for someone who needs to use it unplugged on a regular basis.
Dell should have used an AMD processor, Intel is garbage when it comes to power efficiency.
Add in the fake function keys and high price, this one is an easy pass.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
They lost me immediately with the touch F-row. Touch input is very useful in certain situations such as on a display like a phone. But it is TERRIBLE as a normal button. There's no way to feel that you are touching the right location. Haptic feedback can help to let you know that the button push was registered. But you still can't feel if you are actually on the button you want to push.

I used an XPS M1330 back in the day which was a great laptop. It too used touch for just the media buttons for which volume was the only ones I ever used. But for that it was freakin' annoying. I can't imagine having to use them for anything more than that. It's one of those features that companies like Dell get excited about including because sounds fancy to put in their marketing but really has no place being there. Dell used touch buttons on their monitors for a while and those too suck balls. Glad to see more recent models have gone back to physical buttons. Apparently the team who worked on this laptop didn't talk to their monitor team who already learned this lesson.

Brian D Smith

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
The battery life looks pretty normal (save for the Apple Air) of those compared to so...maybe the reviewer would belleyache about the Yogi as well. Keep in mind, that's closer to 8hrs than 7hrs and running constantly. That's not your normal 'work day'.
One generally seems to 'pay the price' for the power and super nice screen...and it's going to be in battery life.

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
The Dell XPS 13 Plus brings radical design changes, including an invisible touchpad and capacitive function keys, in a beautiful chassis with solid performance.

Dell XPS 13 Plus (9320) Review: Form and Capacitive Function : Read more
The Dell XPS 13 Plus brings radical design changes, including an invisible touchpad and capacitive function keys, in a beautiful chassis with solid performance.

Dell XPS 13 Plus (9320) Review: Form and Capacitive Function : Read more
My wife and I both have older XPS13s and I had started shopping for a replacement when the new model came out. I have high-end wired ear-buds that I use when traveling - so the lack of a port is a bid deal to me. I don't particularly want to purchase a laptop that will require an adapter. I don't really want a touchscreen - fingerprints? All the above will force me to move to another brand laptop - reluctantly, as we have been loyal xps 13 users for years.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
... All the above will force me to move to another brand laptop - reluctantly, as we have been loyal xps 13 users for years.

These radical changes are only on the XPS 13 Plus. The XPS 13 (non-plus) is not that much different from the previous ones with none of these new "features".

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What's with the funky screen resolution? Why are small display makers cutting all those different resolutions? I have been holding back my upgrade since my laptop spend a lot of time docking but there are no desktop monitors matching screen 1:1 to any of the non-gaming top end laptops. 99% of desktop monitors are either the standard 16:9 varieties or 1920x1200 16:10.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My wife and I both have older XPS13s and I had started shopping for a replacement when the new model came out. I have high-end wired ear-buds that I use when traveling - so the lack of a port is a bid deal to me. I don't particularly want to purchase a laptop that will require an adapter. I don't really want a touchscreen - fingerprints? All the above will force me to move to another brand laptop - reluctantly, as we have been loyal xps 13 users for years.

You pretty much need an adapter anyway since no phone comes with 3.5mm headphone jack anymore other than Sony.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I mean, it's a choice. I'd like a longer battery, but that's my personal preference on portables, especially since once you install anti-malware and a couple of services it goes lower.

The capacitive keys are not an issue unless they die quicker than keys, which is the risk that anyone buying one is going to have to gamble on.

Brian D Smith

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
Hmm....2 hrs MORE battery life than the review of the HP Victus 15...and battery life is NOT listed as a 'con' there.
and yet a half star less...just goes to show how subjective reviews can be.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
I have this laptop and when I stream media using the external speakers the entire laptop lags. For example, I can't stream a youtube video and type in a browser at the same time because the text cursor disappears and reappears randomly and the music cuts in and out. Maybe my unit is defective, but this is some garbage-tier jank from a very expensive laptop.