Question Dell XPS 13 stuck 'off' & unresponsive until battery disconnect/reconnect

treminaor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I am using a refurbished 2018 Dell XPS 13 running the latest Windows 10 and I keep running to this issue:

When I close the laptop lid, the laptop goes into hibernation but (occasionally) won't turn back on. The power button is unresponsive, the battery status button is unresponsive, and plugging in the AC adapter does not illuminate the charge light. For all intents and purposes the laptop seems dead. However I remember this being a frequent occurence with customers back when I worked in a computer repair shop a couple years ago, and my trick there was if you disconnect the battery and hold the power button to clear the PMC and other chipsets, the laptop will go back to normal. However I did not have any steps to prevent it from happening again, just recommended they shut off the laptop instead of using sleep/hibernation mode.

It seems like the computer gets stuck in some sort of half-hibernation half-off state where it becomes totally unresponsive.

It is important to emphasize this does NOT happen every time I close the laptop, but its happening more often than not lately. On the Dell XPS 13 I have to remove the button cover to disconnect the battery so it's not exactly a quick task to be fixing this multiple times a week now.

Does anyone know how to prevent this? My power options are:

IpTfMB9.png
ctg6Hcr.png

hUDlYHD.png
WPAaReW.png

Last edited:

treminaor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
As an additional note, it seems if I close the lid of the laptop while the charger is connected, then disconnect the charger while the laptop is still closed, it causes the issue. If I disconnect the charger before closing the laptop this issue does not occur.

treminaor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Can anyone give a solution? Turns out this issue happens regardless of what I change the Power Options to. I totally disabled Hibernation and Sleep and it still gets stuck randomly in this state.