[SOLVED] Dell XPS 15 7590 "Hard drive not installed"

Feb 15, 2021
Bought a new XPS 15 7590 about a month ago. Was working fine until a couple weeks after I bought it it started crashing, and would boot into the BIOS screen and say "Hard drive not installed". I followed some directions online to see how to fix it, and after changing my SATA config in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI that seemed to fix the issue.

A few days ago however the problem started popping back up. Around once per day or so my computer will crash with a BSOD and an error "WHEA: uncorrectable error", boot into the BIOS screen with the hard drive not found error, and after a couple of restarts everything will be working fine again.

Info about the computer itself: before I powered on the computer for the first time after I bought it I installed a new Samsung 970 EVO ssd as well as 64gb of Crucial DDR4 ram. Around a week or two ago I installed a new Intel AX200 wifi card to replace the Killer one, because the WIFI was giving me a bunch of trouble (doing this actually fixed my wifi issues). The problem with the crashing started up again after I replaced the wifi card, although I doubt the two are connected at all.

Steps I've tried to fix this:
  1. Changing SATA mode in BIOS from RAID to AHCI. This was the first thing I did when the issue started happening, and it fixed the issue for a couple weeks before it started happening again.
  2. Re-seating SSD. A couple days ago I unscrewed and opened my XPS and re-seated the SSD. BSOD happened yesterday and today, which means this didn't do anything.
  3. Changing drivers. Originally I was using the Samsung SSD drivers, but those were causing problems of their own so I switched to the default Windows SSD drivers. Don't know if modifying these would change anything.
  4. Running diagnostics on system. Ran the F12 diagnostics yesterday, said everything was fine. This probably indicates to me that the SSD is not faulty. In addition to this I tried running Crystaldiskmark and everything was again working fine.
Steps I haven't yet tried:
  1. Re-installing Windows. Could try this, not sure if it's necessary.
  2. Updating BIOS. (edit, updated a few minutes ago, going to see if this does anything.
  3. Sending computer to dell?????
  4. Any other advice anyone has
Another thing that might be important is that the crash usually happens later in the day, after my laptop has been turned on for a couple of hours. I'm thinking this might indicate it has to do with the SSD getting too hot somehow, but I'm not totally sure if that has anything to do with it.

If anyone has advice/has had this issue in the past and has fixed it, help would be greatly appreciated. Except for this pretty big issue I really like this machine and would love to get this issue resolved. Thanks!

Solution
You bought the SSD yourself, sending it Dell won't help you unless you swap it back to the one it came with. Do that first to see if the issue goes away with the original configuration.
Feb 15, 2021
Since is a recent computer I will try to perform a clean Windows 10 installation...just to rule out the OS.
Have you tried with only 32GB of RAM and see if that could be the issue.
Will try a clean Windows 10 install tomorrow, I could try the 32GB of ram but I'm not sure that would fix it due to the fact that my issue is hard-drive related

Will try a clean Windows 10 install tomorrow, I could try the 32GB of ram but I'm not sure that would fix it due to the fact that my issue is hard-drive related
If you think is the SSD overheating, have you checked the SSD temperatures?
You could either monitor it with a Samsung app or Crystaldiskinfo.

Sometimes RAM could cause issues that appear to be from apps or other hardware.
As soon as you power on the laptop, every bit of data goes thru RAM.

I have upgraded a lot of Dell laptops, but I usually power them and test them before performing any upgrades.
Just because they are brand new it does not mean they could have arrived with issues.
I had to returned a couple of them that arrived with faulty motherboards.

Last edited: