Review Dell XPS 15 (9510) Review: Now With OLED

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Personally, I'm wondering if they've solved the problem of burn-in with OLED. For monitors this would seemingly be a huge problem.

Although the new Escalade uses OLED for its instrument display, so something must have changed.

Apr 1, 2020
LG has said for years their panels last over 100,000 hours. If the OLED screen in this laptop lasts 15,000 hours before showing signs of burn in and/or uneven wear on the useful part of the screen (area above the taskbar and below the title bar which is where burn in and uneven wearing would show first), 15,000 hours at 8 hours a day is 1,875 days, or 5 years, which is basically the lifespan of a laptop used intensively.

I still wouldn't trust it, as someone who doesn't make 6 figures a year. I can't wait until OLED becomes durable and mainstream enough to last 10 years on a computer display, even though IPS has made some great strides lately it still suffers in contrast ratio due to the nature of IPS, but the thought of having to babysit a screen and that the screen will burn itself out through normal use reminds me way too much of CCFL backlit LCD panel displays and the migraines they caused me as the CCFLs aged...

Reactions: tracy01

satai

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Intel Core in such an expensive notebook? Is this some kind of a sick joke?

In such a machine for such a money you need
  • performance
  • battery life
  • coolnes
so Intel should out of game for now.

Why Dell does put this crap into its machines instr\ead of Ryzens?

DSzymborski

Titan
Intel Core in such an expensive notebook? Is this some kind of a sick joke?

In such a machine for such a money you need
  • performance
  • battery life
  • coolnes
so Intel should out of game for now.

Why Dell does put this crap into its machines instr\ead of Ryzens?

An i7-11800H is perfectly competitive with the comparable Ryzen 7 5800H.

In any case, we don't do AMD vs. Intel flame wars, so be substantive.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I still wouldn't trust it, as someone who doesn't make 6 figures a year. I can't wait until OLED becomes durable and mainstream enough to last 10 years on a computer display, even though IPS has made some great strides lately it still suffers in contrast ratio due to the nature of IPS, but the thought of having to babysit a screen and that the screen will burn itself out through normal use reminds me way too much of CCFL backlit LCD panel displays and the migraines they caused me as the CCFLs aged...

Agreed on IPS. I can't stand 'grey' blacks---theres also a reason that none of the top rated HDR TVs are IPS---they are absolutely awful at HDR.

Apr 1, 2020
Agreed on IPS. I can't stand 'grey' blacks---theres also a reason that none of the top rated HDR TVs are IPS---they are absolutely awful at HDR.

As far as TVs go, go OLED if you want HDR, unless you do something stupid like watch CNN all day on it it'll last you long after 8K has become as mainstream as 4K is today.

For a computer display and people who don't care about HDR currently because it's as rare as actual 4K content right now, give me 10-bit (or 8+2 bit) IPS any day over VA and PLS. You may not get the perfect black of OLED or 240hz refresh rate of TN, but they're a fraction of the price, have no color shifting, and look absolutely stellar.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I have an IPS 4k monitor right now, and yes, while its color accuracy is spectacular, it is absolutely terrible for dark scenes in video content or games. You don't get black; you get gray.

I have yet to see a review on any IPS tv or monitor where its HDR performance is anywhere near acceptable---they simply cannot display anything close to true blacks.

That being said, VA has its own issues (namely screen uniformity, which is why VA monitors (near field viewing) tend to be curved, not an issue with distance viewing TVs). But the only acceptable HDR computer monitors are either VA or OLED.

Sep 16, 2021
That's all well and good. Great screen and great picture quality with the OLED etc blah blah blah. Who cares... people are so caught up in these insignificant improvements that they miss the bigger picture here!

From a reparability standpoint, Dell is now making these screens on the XPS 15" and 13" similar to Mac screens. Therefore, if the screen breaks users are SOL!! Parts are hard to come by at this time and will be incredibly expensive if and when they do. You can't just take off the bezel and remove the screen and replace it on this device. Another way to weed out independent repair shops. I wish people would consider the reparability of these devices when purchasing. What's more important, the quality of the screen that you are looking at (do we really need it to be clearer and crisper) or electronic waste and the environment? This is exactly what the right to repair is fighting for. People need to pay attention, because if you do break the screen on this 2K laptop.. taking to a repair shop won't be an option.. until we can get parts. Even then be prepared to shell out a lot of money for the repair. Hoping parts become available soon.