Question Dell XPS 15 9550 Lag/Crashing Issues

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop for many years. Also did clean reinstall of windows ten pro months ago.

Specs are

i5-6300hq processor

1tb ssd nvme - Upgraded from 250gb ssd a while back

32gb ram - Upgraded from 8gb a while back.

intel hd 530 graphics

nvidia geforce 960m

Have tons of lag/crashing issues when playing online poker and or youtube with chrome. More concerned with these lag issues on chrome as it could be the online poker software itself.

Also what about temporary turning off kaspersky total and check to see if that is the issue? The other thing is I use the kaspersky adblocker as well on chrome. Could those be the reasons for these lag issues? Should I just use windows defender and use that adblock plus?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
could also list all the programs I have in apps/features... and maybe it could be an app that is causing this?

Also in my windows updates - optional updates, I have these old driver updates that I did not install. Back then when I had to clean reinstall my windows laptop, I basically manually installed all the urgent and import drivers from the dell website. So when doing that, I notice there were still programs in device manager that had the yellow exclamation mark. So I then downloaded some other drivers on the dell site and once those yellow exclamation marks no longer appear in my device manager, I basically was doing trial and error so to speak, then I stopped downloading anymore apps/updates. I recall I downloaded a few driver updates from the drivers updates which made the last few yellow exclamation mark disappear.

These are the optional updates I still could download now when checking windows updates. Do you think I should download any of these below?

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Media August 2017 - 6..0.1.8233

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystem - A131

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystemPMC - A121

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystem SMBus - A123

Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 1.14.0.0

Realtek - LAN - Realtek USB FE Family Controller

Intel ® HIDClass - October 2016 - 1.1.1.318

In task manager and windows processes, Desktop Windows Manager seem to always use a decent amount of ram... right now its only 300mb when not playing. But sometimes the GPU % spikes up really high.

Could that be a possible cause of these issues? I googled this and one site mentioned you should go to details for dwm.exe - priority and change it to normal. Currently its set to high.

could also list all the programs I have in apps/features... and maybe it could be an app that is causing this?

Also in my windows updates - optional updates, I have these old driver updates that I did not install. Back then when I had to clean reinstall my windows laptop, I basically manually installed all the urgent and import drivers from the dell website. So when doing that, I notice there were still programs in device manager that had the yellow exclamation mark. So I then downloaded some other drivers on the dell site and once those yellow exclamation marks no longer appear in my device manager, I basically was doing trial and error so to speak, then I stopped downloading anymore apps/updates. I recall I downloaded a few driver updates from the drivers updates which made the last few yellow exclamation mark disappear.

These are the optional updates I still could download now when checking windows updates. Do you think I should download any of these below?

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Media August 2017 - 6..0.1.8233

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystem - A131

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystemPMC - A121

Intel - Other Hardware - Intel ® Series/C230 Chipset Family Thermal subsystem SMBus - A123

Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 1.14.0.0

Realtek - LAN - Realtek USB FE Family Controller

Intel ® HIDClass - October 2016 - 1.1.1.318

In task manager and windows processes, Desktop Windows Manager seem to always use a decent amount of ram... right now its only 300mb when not playing. But sometimes the GPU % spikes up really high.

Could that be a possible cause of these issues? I googled this and one site mentioned you should go to details for dwm.exe - priority and change it to normal. Currently its set to high.
Drivers.

Dell has a scanner you can run.
See what it shows.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
What about putting my serlal number on it?

he chrome lag issue is very annoying. Also I think the desktop windows manager might have something to do with the crashing. I read lot of people mention they play games... and their computer has these issues and DWM uses lot of gpu or cpu. I don't notice it using that much ram... but it does use a decent amount of gpu?

Went to the dell support site and entered my dell xps 15 9550 service tag.

Shows xps 15 9550 (77) but for my device... only 28 drivers

These below are urgent

Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS
NVIDIA GeForce/Quadro Series Graphics Driver
Intel Management Engine Components Installer
Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver

These below are recommended

Dell Update/Alienware Update Application
Intel Thunderbolt Firmware Update
Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update
Intel Serial IO Driver
Intel HD/Iris/Iris Pro Graphics Driver
ASMedia USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Add Intel Chipset Device Software to the download list
Intel Chipset Device Software
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console
Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver
Realtek USB Audio Driver
Dell Wireless 1820A Bluetooth Driver
Realtek Memory Card Reader Driver
Intel HID Event Filter Driver
Dell Help And Support Application
Dell Wireless 1820A/1830 Wi-Fi Driver
Dell Foundation Services - Application
STMicroelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver
Intel Chipset Driver
Dell Wireless 1830 Wi-Fi Driver
Dell Wireless 1830 Bluetooth Application
ST Microlectronics Motion Sensor Driver
Dell/Alienware Digital Delivery Application

When I had did the clean reinstall of windows 10 pro, I had to download those wifi drivers named Dell Wireless in order to get internet to work etc. Then after that, I recall downloading the urgent drivers first but I did not install Dell XPS 15 System Bios. Is that very important? Thing is I never downloaded anything bios at all because not only did I not know about it, but heard doing a bios update can be risky as it could brick your computer etc. How do I find out what Bios version I am on?

The other urgent drivers, I did download the nvidia feforce/quadra series driver and the intel management engine components installer. I am not sure if I downloaded the intel thunderbolt controller driver but when I press the start menu and type in that, I do see I did download that driver but not sure if I opened it? Anyone know the name for that program on add/remove program because I don't see it.

In the recommended drivers, I remember downloading a bunch of them but not all. I remember just downloading enough drivers where... as long as that device manager didn't have anymore yellow exclamation marks, then I stopped downloading any of the other recommended drivers as I figure that wouldn't be necessary.

In diagnostics tab, there is also Recommended Lets test your pc for common hardware issues and run quick test seem to be 10 minutes. There is also other option of Choose a different test of full test that last 40 minutes. Has anyone done this and recommend it?

On the Drivers and Downloads tab where it show all those 28 drivers with urgent and recommended, it has Recommended Let Dell automatically find driver updates for you and you could click on check for updates. Should I do that? I had clicked on manually find a specific driver for my device and that is when it showed those 28 drivers.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013

These below are urgent

Intel Serial IO Driver
Realtek USB Audio Driver
Intel Chipset Driver

When I had did the clean reinstall of windows 10 pro, I had to download those wifi drivers named Dell Wireless in order to get internet to work etc. Then after that, I recall downloading the urgent drivers first but I did not install Dell XPS 15 System Bios. Is that very important? Thing is I never downloaded anything bios at all because not only did I not know about it, but heard doing a bios update can be risky as it could brick your computer etc. How do I find out what Bios version I am on?

The other urgent drivers, I did download the nvidia feforce/quadra series driver and the intel management engine components installer. I am not sure if I downloaded the intel thunderbolt controller driver but when I press the start menu and type in that, I do see I did download that driver but not sure if I opened it? Anyone know the name for that program on add/remove program because I don't see it.

In the recommended drivers, I remember downloading a bunch of them but not all. I remember just downloading enough drivers where... as long as that device manager didn't have anymore yellow exclamation marks, then I stopped downloading any of the other recommended drivers as I figure that wouldn't be necessary.

These below are urgent

Intel Serial IO Driver
Realtek USB Audio Driver
Intel Chipset Driver

The bios level you have will show in your bios.

Update the bios/chipset/management engine if needed.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Are there any settings or changes in windows you suggest? Also i should install ublock origin for use with chrome then?

I took a look at my system information on my laptop

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
XPS 15 9550
x64 based PC
Processor Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6300hq CPU @2.30 Ghz, 2301 Mhz
Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 01.00.07 November 15
SMBios Version 2.8
Embedded Controller V 255.255
Bios Mode UEFI

So does that mean my bios is very old then? Shows the date and that was before I even got this laptop. What about the SMBIOS Version? Again, I never updated my bios because I didn't even know about it... but people then said if you update the bios, there is always a chance you can brick your laptop so that is why I never did it. I also heard updating it won't make your computer faster or solve other issues. Is that correct?

So based on these issues, what do you recommend? Again, when i use chrome, for some reason youtube seem to lag a bit. However, i don't have youtube premium... so there is always those ads. Could it be possible that is what is causing the lag? However, opening youtube videos on chrome just does not seem smooth at all. Its much worst on firefox etc.

What can I do on my pc to try to fix these issues? I heard dellsupportassist is not good because its like virus or malware? And if you want to download any program like that, you should download dell command prompt? But what is the difference between you checking for drivers manually vs downloading dell command prompt? Does it tell you okay you need to download these urgent programs and these recommended programs?

Are there any settings or changes in windows you suggest? Also i should install ublock origin for use with chrome then?

I took a look at my system information on my laptop

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
XPS 15 9550
x64 based PC
Processor Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6300hq CPU @2.30 Ghz, 2301 Mhz
Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 01.00.07 November 15
SMBios Version 2.8
Embedded Controller V 255.255
Bios Mode UEFI

So does that mean my bios is very old then? Shows the date and that was before I even got this laptop. What about the SMBIOS Version? Again, I never updated my bios because I didn't even know about it... but people then said if you update the bios, there is always a chance you can brick your laptop so that is why I never did it. I also heard updating it won't make your computer faster or solve other issues. Is that correct?

So based on these issues, what do you recommend? Again, when i use chrome, for some reason youtube seem to lag a bit. However, i don't have youtube premium... so there is always those ads. Could it be possible that is what is causing the lag? However, opening youtube videos on chrome just does not seem smooth at all. Its much worst on firefox etc.

What can I do on my pc to try to fix these issues? I heard dellsupportassist is not good because its like virus or malware? And if you want to download any program like that, you should download dell command prompt? But what is the difference between you checking for drivers manually vs downloading dell command prompt? Does it tell you okay you need to download these urgent programs and these recommended programs?
I've used the dellsupportassist it just gives a list of newer stuff.

You can select what you want from the list and read the reason for the update and also any prereqs.

I would focus on the bios/chipset/management engine.

Go slow and do some testing.

I don't use chrome.
No idea about youtube video.
I'm using firefox with ublock orig and have not seen a problem with what I do.