dell xps 400: windows install causes bsod 0x07b 0x2534 0x0034

joe426

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Hello everyone,

My computer was running slow and had some viruses on it so I wanted to reinstall windows xp pro onto the machine.

I tried to reinstall windows and overwrite the partition but the install failed. I got a copy of the windows xp pro dell oem on made my usb device bootable. The computer boots up from the usb device fine, and windows tries to install. After awhile it goes to the bsod. I have my hard drive bios settings to Raid Autodetect/ATA, which seems to fix other people who have a similar bsod to mine.

I used nlite to slipstream the sata drivers onto the os iso and i got the same bsod.
the steps i used to make this iso was on page 334 of this guide, http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

any response is helpful and thankful.

Hi

0x0000007B indicated lack of hard disk controller driver

Standard XP Cd's and Dell recovery CD's without SP2 did not support modern SATA controllers unless AHCI mode turned back to ATA Compatible in BIOS or a floppy disk drive added so F6 AHCI driver can be used during installation.

assuming your controller is set to SATA / AHCI or similar
you probably need a Dell recovery XP CD with integrated SP2

This model supported both ATA & SATA hard disks you need to check what you have either by inspection or software or looking in device manager for hard disk make & model then Googling for specification

There are methods of adding extra drivers but this requires some experience and nlite and or driverpacks from http://driverpacks.net/ (needs torrent software to download mass storage drivers)

regards
Mike Barnes

joe426

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

I made a copy of windows xp pro service pack 3 with integrated sata drivers using nlite and windows slipstream. I then tried to install windows with every bios setting for my hard drive, all resulting in this same bsod. This machine worked perfectly fine before so I know all the cables are good. At one point I was able to run Windows recovery console and tested all my drives and they were good. Then with recovery console I deleted the previous c drive partition. Now I'm stuck here.

Hi

Are you using a Dell XP Recovery CD or a OEM system builder XP CD or a retail XP CD ?

The Dell Recovery XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3 should already have the drivers required for Dell branded Intel chipset motherboards

To properly test the hard drive + controller interface you need the hard disk manufacturers bootable diagnostic disk
(most are manufacturer specific versions of the same software but Seagate will run on most brands)

maybe you should also test your RAM before the hard disk as suggested above
(memtest86 or memtest86+)

regards
Mike Barnes