[DELL XPS 600] Motherboard replacement w/ regular atx motherboard

BioRouge

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Hey folks,

I need a little assistance, I've done some searching and found most of the dell pc's don't really allow for standard (non dell) upgrade componenets (PSU/Motherboard).

I'm wondering if the DELL XPS 600 follows this routine as well. I've had my XPS 600 for 5 years and just recently the motherboard fried on it. A new replacement from dell would cost roughly 300 dollars.

I could buy a new motherboard/processor combo for that price. Which is what my intentions are, trying to avoid having to dish out for a new case/psu. I like the XPS case.

Any suggestions or am i out of luck?

Check the back of the case, and see if the backplate is removable. If it's atached to the motherboard, you're probably stuck with the dell replacement board. Ascendtech sometimes carries dell replacement boards. Otherwise, check ebay. Computergeeks sometimes has Intel boards that will work with older dells. Some newer dells use the btx format for the board and case, so check your specs carefully.

BioRouge

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
looks like i can replace the motherboard without much issues.

Question: I keep reading that some DELL power supplies will short out any non-DELL motherboard.
This still the case with XPS 600's?

I cant figure out how to replace the PSU with a standard one, it's got a wiered long shape o.0.

Sigh, i really like the dell case but its looking more and more like i'll be buying a new one if this keeps up. The cost of a decent case and an SLI PSU are through the roof these days ...

BioRouge

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for all your help o1die.

Appreciate every bit of it :)

So it looks like ill be getting a new case. my budget was under 65-70 CDN.
So far i've settled on this:

Antec Three Hundred
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018460&cid=CS.664

Read some pretty good reviews about that one. What do you think? Anything better in that price range out there that I should look into instead?

What should i be looking for in a PSU?
I'll have a GeForce 7800GTX SLI setup w/ hopefully a Core2 Duo setup.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 600Watt PSU that's got the 2x 6pin PCI-e connectors.

As always,
Appreciate all the help i can get :)

parisq

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Can I ask what mobo you went for to replace the xps 600 mobo. I'm in a similar situation with a dead mobo only I want to salvage the xps case.

BioRouge

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Hey Parisq,

I'm afraid that unless without some modifications to the powersupply wiring and front panel switch wiring you can't do much.
Luckily I've gone through this before so I hope my advice helps you.

Because I'm not too technically inclined, nor did I have the hardware to make certain modifications; I went out and build a new PC on a fairly good budget.
I bought an Antec 300 Case (Costs roughly 40-60 CDN) & got an EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard (Check their website, they have great deals from time to time, as well as NCIX (Canada) or NEWEGG (Canada/US). I was able to use my old P4 640 untill just 2 weeks ago I replaced it with a Q6600 Quad Core.

Honestly my friend, spending 100 on a case/powersupply was well worth the hastle of having to modify (with a potential risk or burning new hardware).

However, If you still want to modify it you may have to do the following:

- Check all power lines on the Power Splly Unit. Even tho it may fit, Dell has a nasty habbit of having different voltages. You may need to make an adapter or re-pin the header.
- You will have to make some sort of an adapter to allow the front button wires to connect to a regular mother board. If you notice DELL has some propriatary board that has the front panel connections.

The above is what needs to be done to fiddle around.

If you want a test XPS 600 case w/ PSU to fiddle around with; I'll give you mine (you take care of the shipping costs. If you live in Toronto(Canada), just pick it up from me).

*Cheers to mountedpat​rolman; Thank you for providing me technical modification details in a private message*

parisq

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thanx for the response. I just spoke with Dell XPS T/S who ran me through a few tests and determined both the mobo and p/s are dead. So, it kind of makes it easier. I think I'll go the way yoiu did with new mobo, p/s and possibly processor. Thanx.

Spudnd45

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Ok, i have a dell XPS 600. is it possible to put another case on it? Or is it the way dells are that you can not put different cases on them

dnyorgy

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
How ironic!!! I've had a very simular experience with customer service at Dell. I've ordered a new motherboard for my XPS 600 V2 through them twice and they've both been canceled...without notifying be that they were going to! I've called them 3-4 times and they check the orders and said, "Yep, it's been canceled because the item is on back order and we're were unable to contact you to keep this order open." What kills me is that they never tried to contact me and all 3-4 times that I've called them they've interupted my inquiry with a "Why are you even trying to get a motherboard? You're old system is so old (3 years is old?!) and you should by a new one." I've been unable to access my data that I need for almost a month now because of their neglect of customer satisfaction.

I'm fed up with getting pushed around by Dell and being pressured into giving them money when they can't fix my issue now. Now I'm trying to decide if I'm educated enough, or can be educated, to build my own tower. I really don't have a problem using a lot of the same stuff from my old tower because they don't seem to be damaged from the power surge that my surge protector didn't protect my computer from...sigh. Does anyone have any suggestions or information that I can read up on to build my own computer?

yorgyrus@hotmail.com

R1CH4RD

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Normally, I do not post on these topics as my opinion is a bit biased at times, and probably here could cause a negative stir from some but... I had a co-worker at one of my previous jobs, and guess what his previous job was??? Dell tech support. Just to inform you guys of what I have been informed of, he stated to me that as a tech support, no matter how easy or simple the question was, the tech support team has an entire book/program full of information they must go through for every call to try to find ways NOT to be held liable for the problem, and in the end, not help you with your problem without you paying for it. (Im talking about telling someone that in order to shut down computer you have to press the start and shut down buttons) Yeah, its that bad.

Moral to the story, the best route to go is a custom built computer. You won't have the error messages that lead you to a tech support team that will give you the run around, most error messages are presented in the booklet you recieve for the motherboard/hdd/whatever equipment is failing, plus you know exactly what programs / hardware that is installed on your computer. I mean, unless you are someone that is buying a first time computer, do you really need programs that are trials, programs that help you choose your ISP, programs that are a waste of space???

Not a techy? No problem, surely you know someone that has a little computer knowledge, and quite honestly as someone who liked electronics but knew nothing of motherboard/cpu/psu/you get the picture hookups and innerworkings, I built a computer and im not gonna lie, is the best I have had to this day, and I have been one that purcheses 1600, 1800, and another 1100 dollar systems in the past. The one that is bigger and better then the rest was around 1100.

Im not gonna sit here and tell you that you can save 500 on custom built computers (though it is probably possible, but then you will be buying the low of the low and probably not be getting what you really want out of it) but you can build yourself a better computer, one without having to worry about tech support (tech support for the majority of the problems can be found on any major search engine, because ya, almost guaranteed that someone has had the same problem you have had) and a computer that for the same price as a name brand, will typically be faster and better quality on parts such as CPU speed/power and RAM speed/size.

Plus for the fact of not having to waste time and money on tech support that is innitially set up to avoid helping, its well worth it....

Tracey_08

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Thank you for all your information. I too have had the XPS 600 MB cancelled 4X by Dell without being contacted. So after reading all your posts, I called them AGAIN, and told them that I was reading other posts from other customers that are having the same problem. I told them that don't give me any BS, don't sell me another system, that I am willing to pay for the MB, but I want one NOW. They told me that the MB was not in stock, and when I asked WTF, you sell systems and do not replacement parts available, I was told he was still looking into it. I own small businesses and I told them that if I delivered this service to my customers I would be bankrupt.

So here is the solution that Dell came up with: Pay $218.00 for a warranty, than I have to call back and order the DELL MB, the first person I spoke with told me that the part is no longer manufactured, than I was transferred to another person, asking for the Express Order Code or serial number, she than stated that the warranty expired, I gave her the order number for the newly purchased warranty, I was than transferred again without even being told that I was being transferred, oh but than the line died. So was I transferred or did they hang up on me, so I called the person that sold me the warranty, but oh no I had to leave a message which I decided to just call back and get another person on the line, and now I have to call back 24 hours because the warranty has not been processed.....

First phone call lasted 32 minutes second phone call lasted minutes. By the way my husband purchased the warranty after I was telling him about all the complaints!

So I guess I will continue this "blog" tomorrow, that MB better exist!!!!!!!!

Tracey

unicornucopia

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
EXACT SAME PROBLEM HERE!

First off, obviously there was a problem with xps600 MOBO's across the board (pun intended)... is there anything we can do? Seems like a "lemon law" of sorts should be in place here. I dunno.

Secondly - exact same experience with customer service. it would always take them "3 days" to call me back and say it was canceled and I needed to reorder. I would ALWAYS ask if the part existed and could be shipped, they'd say yes. They sent me on a wild goose chase for a while saying it was My dell financing preferred account that was canceling the order... they said nope... and finally the 5 or 6th rep that I had over the course of 20 some days said "the part is unavailable".

Incredible.

Also note I purchased a replacement mobo on ebay and luckily the seller informed me (from my questioning) that the capacitors were cracked bulging and burnt. Luckily i was able to cancel.

WTF do I (we?) do?

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

If the power supply is dead, a motherboard status is only unknown. If motherboard is dead, there is no way to determine the supply as defective - unless using a multimeter.

Motherboard and supply do not both fail. Most often when told that, the tech has no hardware knowledge. Was just replacing parts until something worked. Or the supply was installed by a computer assmbler who only understood dollars and watts.

Discount Dells are not designed to have parts replaced. To have motherboards upgraded. Or have a replacement power supply. They are sold to be as cheap as possible. Many who bought on the cheap will then post all those silly claims about all Dells being non-standard. When the machine is intentionally designed to be disposable - not upgradable - as inexpensive as possible.

It don't see where anyone has come to conclusion based in facts. Maybe those facts exist. But based upon what was posted, I see only wild speculation.

Only two processes to determine what has failed. Keep replacing part until something works. Or "work smarter; not harder". That means using a multimeter to first see what is wrong without even disconnecting one wire. You choose to shotgun; or choose to find the problem before fixing it. The later (in most cases) takes much less labor AND costs less money. But it requires computer knowledge - which is why one posts those important numbers here so that the few with better knowledge can post actionable solutions.

cortyman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Guys,

The quality of Dell customer support notwithstanding, all I want to know is what comparable motherboard and power supply can I use to replace those on my now fried XPS 600 (which lasted 5 years)?

Thanks, Cortyman

I recommend the asus P5N-D sli board for $79.99 after rebate with free shipping at newegg. You'll need a new windows operating system. Check craigslist for windows 7 copies. I recommend the "pro" version so you can use your old xp files with the virtualization feature. Frys and newegg sell the oem pro version for around $130, but you might find it for less on craigslist. For the power supply, newegg has a corsair 650w for $59.99 after rebate in today's email promos. You have to register with newegg for the promos to work.

PC Solutions

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I own a computer repair shop and a customer asked me to repair his blown XPS 600.
OK, here is the deal spelled out. Yes, you can install new micro ATX motherboard using existing case, video card and power supply. Reality, you need to dremel cut the sheet metal in the back panel to accomodate the new motherboard by about half an inch. Drill new screw holes for hex mounts into the case for the motherboard and rewire the front panel switch using a cheap meter to test continuity and tracing the switch to the new board. Took me 3 hours before I could even load Windows 7. The upgrade is with Socket 1155 MB, Intel Core i7 Processor, 2 new SATA DVD-RWs and 4GB DDR3 RAM. I got to use the original case, dual Nvidia 7900 cards in SLI and power supply. BTW, power supply has 10 pins but is fully compatable with 4 and 8 pins. Just follow the proper notches or else!
Suggesting YOU do it? Pass! Start from scratch and buy a PS and Case...