LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I have a 2 y.o. Dell xps 630i with a Q6600 processor. The BIOS appears to have addressable parameters for many of the motherboard features. Would there be a great advantage to really overclock this processor? It says it is overclocked at 9x now, with a max value of 20x. Then there is the voltage issue. Or am I playing with fire here, since I am getting a 5.9 rating presently for a score?
Thanks

+1^
Q6600 is a great OC'er,and getting it to 3.0Ghz+ will give you a good boost in performance.
However don't really care about Windows score,because that does not determine your exact performance.
Try testing some games/benchmarks and you will see a boost in performance when OC'd

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Yes I was able to up the CPU to 15x, fsb to 1333, and raised the voltages up a little. Although I did reach for the sky till the system wouldn't boot, and had to reset the CMOS....

Reach for the sky ?
More like the farthest corners of the universe ; 15 x 333 = 4995

I don't see how you could have changed the multiplier, as was stated previously, only the Extreme chips have an unlocked multiplier.

A man who doesn't know what he is doing doesn't know his limitations either.

I doubt a dell system has a multiplier control. I have never seen an oem machine with one. If it did, it would not allow you to multiplier OC because INTEL locks the multiplier at the factory. And the Q6600 cant get anywhere near 5 Ghz on air. If it did, you would likelly blow out that stock Dell PSU.

Whatever you were on that night, don't work on your computer after using it next time! :)

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
It does show an addressable multiplier on the advanced setup in the bios. And after setting it differently, it shows that value in the next setup. Whether or not it is going to the processor that way, i don't know? It is telling me that the CPU is at 3.01. Who really knows...

TRENDING THREADS