Dell Xps 7100 VS 8100 For Gaming and such!

blazinsoul

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Ive recently found myself in need of a new PC thats fast, can play moderate to intense games and will last for at least 5-8 years.
So far ive researched through about 100 within my budget of about $1800 Australian (Max), and found that the Dell XPS 7100 and 8100 fit in to that category well.
Which PC would be better?

The Specs are...

Dell XPS 7100: AMD X6 1090T, 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD5770 Graphic Card, 500GB HDD

Dell XPS 8100: Intel i7 860, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVidia GTX 460 Graphic Card, 1TB HDD

Im not fussed at all about HDD size, I have already got External 1TB HDD (Seagate 1TB Portable HDD) i will be using the PC mostly for running programs such as Adobe AE and Autodesk 3d MAX, aswell as moderate to intense gaming. (I will not be over clocking!)

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
5 to 8 years? Not a likely scenario with a Dell. I went to the Dell site to try and find out some more specifics. No information about SATA or USB connections. If you want to future proof, you should make sure you have SATA 6 Gb/s connections and USB 3.0. Also, your motherboard will need additional PCIe slots to add a second graphics card in CF or SLI. This information is not available on the the Dell site, so you are taking your chances.

If you were to build your own, you could skip the extra hard drive, get the right motherboard to last a long time, and buy better quality parts. If you fill out this form, there are lots of folks on this forum to assist!

If you really have your heart set on one of these two options from Dell, choose the XPS 8100. The other has a Black Edition AMD CPU, which charges a premium just for overclocking. Surprised Dell even sells that, because the bios in their motherboards is usually stripped of any overclocking capabilities. The XPS 8100 also has a slightly better graphics card, even if it is only the 768 MB version.

blazinsoul

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I think it's the 1 gb ver. Graphics card in the xps 8100. Also I'm going to be getting the USB 3.0 pci slot to fill the extra slot and not worry about getting a second graphics card in CF or SLI. I won't be overclocking any of these pc's so it won't be a problem. For these reasons mentioned, what CPU would be better for gaming and runnin complex apps, the x6 1090t or i7 860? Btw when I said intense gaming I won't be
playing crysis on high settings or Anything, ( more like
MW2 on highest settings), I'll just be playing for
periods at a time swell as runnin apps.

Thanks in advance!!!

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
5-8 years isn't happening. Look at the technology from 5 years ago. P4s and 6800 graphics cards. You can't play well at any resolution with those specs on any games from the past 4 years. Not to mention they don't have any of the innovation of the past 5 years like SSDs, probably no sata connections, PCIe, etc.

Fill out the form and we can get started with specifics. If I were you I'd split the budget and get one system now and one in 2/3 years.

goalguy876

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
your spending 2000 dollars and you dont want to build it because you want it so fast? Building takes at MOST 3 hours. Plus, its actually kind of fun. You can also get a MUCH better computer by building it then you can by purchasing a premade one.

The 860 is the better gamer . . . and you can look at other results compared here:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=108

The (1GB) 460 is far superior to the 5770:

[urlhttp://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/172?vs=180[/url]

So the 8100 is the better gamer. The 7100 will probably score some wins in other apps, or if you can soak those cores.

If you are buying a Dell, saying you are not OCing is probably redundant lol

I running a 4 yr old Dell XPS 710 H2C, factory OC'd 3.2GHz quad, with a 5870 (now) as my main gaming rig. So it can be done. But this machine was expensive and is the last I ever bought or will buy. I've been building ever since.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hey BlazinSoul, even though building your first computer is quite a daunting task, if you decide to do so, you'll have us here to coach you through any problems. Heck, it sounds like sp12 is ready to come over and show you how to do it in less than an hour!!!

As for what you are looking at right now, do not spend the money on a 1090T - that model is unlocked and designed for overclocking. If you want to go with an AMD hex core, look into the 1055T instead. Between that and the i7-860, I think the Intel wins by a little bit. But, I have already said that.

Both CPUs are overkill for gaming - an i5-750 has ample processing horsepower for games. Put the extra money into graphics.

For comparison, with pricing from Newegg, an 860, Gigabyte USB3 mobo, 4GB memory, Seasonic 650W psu, Gigabyte 1GB 460 OC'd, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HD, Sony Optiarc DVD/CD burner & Win7 64-bit prices at $1,050 today. Need keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor.

Might be worth some thought.

If it is, I'll list the config from my Newegg cart.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I'm not going to lie, if you want a Dell to last 5-8 years you're dreaming. If you're coming on here asking which is the better Dell to buy, expect everyone to say to build you're own.

Know why? Because we want you to get the best for your budget. In no way, shape or form is that going to be a Dell.

Fill out the form, man up and build it.

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I know this post is almost 2 months old, but because it was recommended to me from Google, I feel that I need to update it. The XPS 7100 us a great choice for all of your games! It comes with a nice 460W that can probably amplify 500W. It also comes with a 2 year hardware warranty, to guarantee it will last 5 years. When you return to Dell, they will give you parts to an equal or greater value.. so in 2 years, if anything ever broke or didn't have the expectations you expected; you could simply return it and more than likely Dell wouldn't have the products anymore, forcing them to give you increased stats.. think of it as a free upgrade if anything ever went wrong. Beyond that, the 1055T or 1075T is perfect for gaming.. and that fact you get a price decrease for combining it with the 5870 is phenomenal. Dells motherboards are where they go wrong, but they are certainly not the worse.. you may have to add a USB 3.0 slot or something equivalent later on.. but I don't see the whole world upgrading from USB 2.0 for awhile. The hard drive, although not 6gbps technology, is still a great hard drive. Soon, like when DDR2 came out, SSD will overrun HDDs when the prices drop to an affordable rate; but you won't have to upgrade for another 2-3 years. Everyone that's saying you need to have a motherboard that offers Crossfire / SLI is wrong. Most people, including myself, prefer only one graphics card.. when you get 2 it turns out to be the main graphics card + half the other one (just a simple FPS increase it seems). I would personally prefer to upgrade the 5870 when needed (another 2-3 years) and not worry about Crossfire. The i7 is definitely the choice if ALL you do is gaming, but the Phenom II X6 is more futuristic, especially when newer games start offering multicore processing. Finally, all these people saying "man up and build your own": after the operating system, and all the hardware it's about the same price (if not more) than a Dell.. and that's getting all the same pieces with a little better motherboard. Sure you have each individual hardware warranty, but with a Dell you get a free 1-2 year entire computer hardware warranty. This means the Dell will work 100% perfect for 2 years, and I'd imagine you wouldn't have to upgrade for another 5 years or more.. I don't see games being hugely dependent on computer hardware within the next few years without offering multicore performance.. which will take the heat off the GPU for up to a year before you have to upgrade (the 5870 is still a great card to this day). Also, to all you people saying "look where technology was 5 years ago" is wrong. Before I built my build that I have now (which is brand new, 3 weeks): I had an older computer I had built previously. It had a Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz, 8800GT @ 512MB (which is great, but definitely bottle necking it with the P4), 1.5GB DDR1 RAM, 120GB 3gbps (I think), and finally a 550W PSU.. It's still running strong, I'm able to run Starcraft on all high with a solid 25FPS and because the human eye can only see 20-23FPS, it looks very solid. I might mention that this resolution is on a 32" 1080p TV (1600x1200) because I'm running DVI. If this computer is just now starting to "not be enough" I'm sure the Dell has a good 7 years in it before it becomes "not quite powerful enough," simply because with future games, they'll offer multicore technology and that alone will keep the computer alive for a long time. I wouldn't go with the 8300 for the i7, I'd go with the 7100 and save some money while looking ahead in the future. Finally, as tough as these guys sound, when they built their first computer they were very nervous that they would mess something up and highly considered just buying prebuilt. Anyways, I have a XPS 7100 in my living room as a media center and Blu-Ray player, and I couldn't be happier.. it's dead silent, and great for gaming (I play my FPS on my TV in the living room, while I play all of my serious games - WoW / Starcraft 2 in the living room). The stats I chose were: 1075T @ 3.0GHz + HD Radeon 5870 @ 1GB GDDR5, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 3gbps 16mb cache, and bluray.. I also ordered their Bluetooth option, looking ahead in the future: I can see this computer lastly my media center at least 10 years along with running my games on max/high settings. Go for the 7100.. and for the next few months they have 30% off with free 3-5 day shipping, which makes it all the more reason to buy it now. Good luck.

james73084

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I cant say that this is the a likely senario, I will say that my XPS Generation 2 with everything in it original, is STILL working and running world of warcraft.

it has a 7800 GT,Pentium 4, 1GB ddr ram, as well as the original psu and everything so its been almost 8-9 years for that PC :)