Dell XPS 8500 crashes VERY often will loud fan; black screen

minecraft.xie

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I have a Dell XPS 8500 and it crashes very often (a few times per week or once a day) It has a very loud fan. The sound comes from all the fans except the back fan. It will happen while watching a video. The screen will freeze then the Youtube sound will get stuck and repeat like this: Hello guys today (freeze) we will talkkkkkkk (repeats the k) Usually it happens after I finish doing some gaming and/or streaming.

Specs:
i7 3770 (stock)
Stock Motherboard
GTX 1050 (Zotac)
24 GB Samsung RAM (stock)
Stock 400 or 450 watt psu
1TB HDD (very old one but has OS and my data)
2TB HDD (newer one)
OS: Windows 10 unactivated becz it wanted the original HDD when I upgraded from an i5 machine. (I took the HDD out of the old one and put it into the new one)

Failing power supply or video card are the most likely things to cause this, maybe motherboard.

Did you try anything already to fix this? Test RAM one stick at a time, reseat connections, make sure nothing is overheating? Check motherboard to make sure no capacitors look puffed or cracked.

minecraft.xie

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

I found that the GPU fan was stuck at 40%. I changed it to 60% and now it crashed while playing Overwatch and blue screen saying DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and after a restart its at a black screen with a spinning circle.

It has the stock 460watt psu.

Gorrak

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I had a similar problem and after trying the obvious (drivers, reseating, etc) I solved it by taking my tower to the gas station and blowing out the dust from the PSU and using different plugs for the GPUs power connectors (my PSU is modular). After this it was fine!!

I honestly believe it was shorting out due to dust and recommend anyone with this problem start by cleaning their psu with high pressure air.