[SOLVED] Dell XPS 8500 Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chodgeswv

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
My son purchased a new hard drive from crucial. Before we began this process everything was running great no issues at all.

We followed the cloning instructions and installed the new drive. When we boot the pc we get a keyboard error and it asks us to hit f2 for bios but the keyboard wont let us. He uses this pc for school. Never in a million years did this look so difficult and I am freaking out. He had saved 2 years of bday and Christmas money to buy this hard drive so it's not like I have the money to buy and new pc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

popatim

Titan
If this is a tower pc then make sure the keyboard is plugged into the topmost USB ports on the rear of the case. Those are the ones that most often work when the USB ports are still being controlled by the bios and are often usb2 ports instead of usb3 (but this is dependent on the actual chipset the motherboard is using)

Reactions: chodgeswv

chodgeswv

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
So I moved the keyboard to another port and went to Windows website and created recovery OS on USB. Was able to access the bios and choose boot from USB first. Before I do anything else is there anything I should know or do. I have read over 100 support post from various places but my friend told me this is the site she uses. Thanks for any help

chodgeswv

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
We are getting closer. Once I installed windows from the usb and everything seems fine do I go into bios and change boot sequence? When the computer restarts it is asking me to choose the version of windows which I why I am asking. It shouldnt do that everytime it restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.