Question Dell XPS 8700/1660ti

Apr 7, 2019
Hello all, I am currently in the process of upgrading my Dell XPS 8700 and had a few questions that i hope can be answered.

Q: Will my new EVGA 1660ti require a bios update? If so how do i proceed?

Q: Should i factory reset, or just wipe my drives of my current GPU

Thanks in advance for anyone that is able to help.

Edit: Also curious if my 4770 will bottleneck my new GPU

PC Specs:

I7 4770

24gb ddr3 ram

GTX 1050TI

2TB Hard drive

windows 8.1

If you already have a 1050Ti running, system should run the 1660Ti without a BIOS update.
You don't need to do a factory reset, and since you already have newer nVidia drivers installed you may not even need to touch the existing drivers. When I swap cards going to a card that uses the same drivers, I don't touch the system unless it has some issues on the new card.

Reactions: DellXps8700 boy
May 3, 2019
Hi @DellXps8700 boy!,

How do you install the 1660 graphic card? Do you change the power supply? I found that it doesn't fit in my Dell Xps 8700 because the PCI connector is not the same. I have a 660 ti graphic card and the connector has 6 pines and the Zotac 1660 graphic card needs 8 pines

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know I'm coming in very late to this, but doesn't the Dell have two 6-pin PCIe connectors?

It is safe to use an adapter to convert 2 6-pin connectors into a single 8-pin connector, since the 6-pin connectors are rated for 75W each, and 8-pin is rated for 150W.

Sometimes a video card will come with an adapter for this, but if not, they are readily available to purchase.