Dell XPS 8700 suffering unknown problems

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
So I decided to get my old XPS out and fix it. Tougher than I thought; it's giving out 5 continuous beeps for the CMOS battery but I had replaced it with a new one and it still beeped. Still, it should show the BIOS screen am I right? (tbh, I've no clue) As far as I know, the GPU is still functioning but it could be the MB, but I have no clue. Also, it's not displaying anything- except from my TV saying there is no signal. Full system specs:
CPU: I7-4770 3.4Ghz
MB:
GPU: GTX 650 Ti
RAM: 12GB quad channel 2x4gb 2x2 gb Hyundai
PSU: Stock XPS 8700 (no clue what it's called) 440 watts
HDD: External Toshiba 1tb (moved the internal to my new pc) no O.S
Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this 6 yr old pc?
Also, I don't think having any O.S on the hard drive matters, it should still show the BIOS screen and the options to access the boot menu to boot it up from the USB I have connected.

D

Deleted member 14196

Look up what does five beeps mean. Mismatch ram is a problem too in most cases

Pull out the two gigs sticks and see if it boots

You can always remove everything except for the CPU, GPU and one ram stick at a time and see if it will boot. If it does keep adding back hardware till you find the culprit

Remove the GPU and just use your integrated graphics. Also remove all but one ram module. Then try booting. If that doesn't work switch out ram modules but put the other ram module in a different slot than the previous one was installed in. Then try again if it works just start adding parts one at a time and see which causes the failure. Turning off before installing any component of course.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
I looked up the beep codes and five beeps mean RTC POWER FAIL

I would check the voltage I’m at CMOS battery replaced at least
I know for a fact the PSU works properly. What I didn't mention was that the power light flashed orange instead of white. Also, it might be me being crazy but, the way the pc starts up does not sound the same when it was working.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Remove the GPU and just use your integrated graphics. Also remove all but one ram module. Then try booting. If that doesn't work switch out ram modules but put the other ram module in a different slot than the previous one was installed in. Then try again if it works just start adding parts one at a time and see which causes the failure. Turning off before installing any component of course.
Integrated doesn't work, I've already tried it
Edit: I'm going to remove all of the RAM and see if the beep codes change.

D

Deleted member 14196

This is from the link that I posted and you said you’re getting an amber light

That link I posted says that a solid Amber led means that there’s a problem with the motherboard CPU or the power supply and you can’t guarantee me anything about the PSU until you test it in another machine Or get another PSU to test it in this machine

So it’s either a problem with the CPU and motherboard or the power supply and most often it’s the power supply. And you mentioned you brought this out of storage to fix it which means it was broken before and this was probably the issue

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
This is from the link that I posted and you said you’re getting an amber light

That link I posted says that a solid Amber led means that there’s a problem with the motherboard CPU or the power supply and you can’t guarantee me anything about the PSU until you test it in another machine
I'm stupid. The GPU didn't have the ext power plugged in. I'm plugging it in now and see if it displays anything. Also, the MB might be the main problem like you said but again, I've no clue.

D

Deleted member 14196

You find out by process of elimination so you need to test components somehow to determine what the exact problem is

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a six-year-old computer that won’t boot. it’s not worth it. Waste of money and time

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
You find out by process of elimination so you need to test components somehow to determine what the exact problem is

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a six-year-old computer that won’t boot. it’s not worth it. Waste of money and time
It was £900. Waste of money, I agree.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Update: I got into the boot menu and now I'm reinstalling windows onto my old hard drive, hopefully I can get it working again. I still have no idea why it died in the first place

D

Deleted member 14196

My first dell XPS Pro was 3000$ Don’t feel bad but it lived almost 20 years

That was 1998 or so. Pentium Pro

D

Deleted member 14196

I would not. It’s much better to build your own PC and to know what parts are in it. Plus Dell always does that stupid oddball power supply that’s not standard. They are great if you’re just going to buy it and use it and never upgrade it until it dies other than that stay away from prebuilt PC’s

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
I would not. It’s much better to build your own PC and to know what parts are in it. Plus Dell always does that stupid oddball power supply that’s not standard. They are great if you’re just going to buy it and use it and never upgrade it until it dies other than that stay away from prebuilt PC’s
I did build a new PC after the Dell one died, its way better. My Dell right now is finishing installing windows 10, it is taking ages but would would I expect?

It was £900. Waste of money, I agree.
Was never a fan of Dell, but that XPS was something else. Either you have upgraded or that thing came with the Intel Haswell ( i7 4770 ). I have an i7 4770k sitting on the shelf as I upgraded to the i7 6700k and now, i7 8700k. £900 was a good buy. Better than what I was running way back when. I had an eMachines with a Pentium D, then eventually moved up top a Gateway FX6800-01. Upgraded both as far as I could with the processor. Got the Gateway in '09 and since then have built / upgraded my own. Yeah, you need to hook up those Power cables to the Video card as you aren't going to get enough by far from the PCIe bus.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
So I decided to get my old XPS out and fix it. Tougher than I thought; it's giving out 5 continuous beeps for the CMOS battery but I had replaced it with a new one and it still beeped. Still, it should show the BIOS screen am I right? (tbh, I've no clue) As far as I know, the GPU is still functioning but it could be the MB, but I have no clue. Also, it's not displaying anything- except from my TV saying there is no signal. Full system specs:
CPU: I7-4770 3.4Ghz
MB:
GPU: GTX 650 Ti
RAM: 12GB quad channel 2x4gb 2x2 gb Hyundai
PSU: Stock XPS 8700 (no clue what it's called) 440 watts
HDD: External Toshiba 1tb (moved the internal to my new pc) no O.S
Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this 6 yr old pc?
Also, I don't think having any O.S on the hard drive matters, it should still show the BIOS screen and the options to access the boot menu to boot it up from the USB I have connected.
Update:
It's working now YAY! Except it's super slow. I mean, my old Vista PC could boot up faster. Any ideas why?