DELL XPS 8700 + WIN 10-64bit OEM vs FULL

calebhleyba

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Windows 10 is finally coming to its RTM stage and hopefully releases in a timely manner after July 29th. I own a DELL XPS 8700 with a few modifications as to hardware specs. I currently run Win 8.1 ENT on a 500gb Samsung 850 Evo and use the DELL 1TB HDD that it came with more as more a storage space and I believe it runs WIN 8.1 HOME.

My Q is do I need to purchase the full version of Win 10-64bit or the OEM to do a full clean re-install on my SSD. And will I be able to use the same disc to upgrade the HDD one as well?

Solution
Actually, that's entirely wrong. This is what Microsoft has stated, so remember it. IF you clean install FIRST, you will LOSE your ability and right to the free upgrade.

IF YOU PLAN TO CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10

YOU CANNOT CLEAN INSTALL INITIALLY OTHERWISE YOU PASS UP YOUR FREE UPGRADE

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 VIA WINDOWS UPDATE OR BEGINNING THE WINDOWS 10 SETUP WITHIN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP. THIS WILL REGISTER YOUR DEVICE AS A WINDOWS 10 DEVICE AND YOU MAY NOW CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON THE DEVICE.

From my extensive testing of the new Microsoft Product Testing introduced into Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10147 I can tell you the following:

•Direct clean installation from Windows 10 Installation Media, skipping product key...

rockymcvey

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Clean install will be possible with the free download version, when you install Windows 10, it will begin by letting you do a clean install or upgrade.

From what I've read though, even the upgrade is handled more as a clean install by Windows 10. It basically moves all your old OS files to a separate folder called Windows.old (that can be deleted anytime) then it moves all the data from the old install into the new install, so it works more as a clean install than the Upgrades of old. However complete clean installs are possible without purchasing the disc, if you already have 8, you are all set for the free download when it comes available July 29th.

On a personal note, I have been using W10 for the past 6 months, and I have to say it's a huge improvement over 8.1, and while I still have a few faults with it, I actually find it an improvement over Windows 7 as well.

calebhleyba

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

While all the information you have provided me with is very insightful news I know I will be able to do a clean install of WIN10 through the OS itself as an upgrade. My only gripe is I boot from my SSD(WIN8.1ENT) not my HDD(WIN8.1 OEM HOME) that runs WIN8.1 ENT which does not get a free upgrade to WIN10. Current articles state that fast ring users, beta testers included will get the latest WIN10 build 1st and that RTM version is delayed. So for retail purchasers and for manufacturers planning to pre-install an OEM builder version on newer hardware might be delayed. Not that I'm in any rush because I know for the first few months WIN10 will be buggy but from all the replies I'm getting I think it might just be a better option to purchase the FULL version over the OEM due to my current set-up.

Actually, that's entirely wrong. This is what Microsoft has stated, so remember it. IF you clean install FIRST, you will LOSE your ability and right to the free upgrade.

IF YOU PLAN TO CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10

YOU CANNOT CLEAN INSTALL INITIALLY OTHERWISE YOU PASS UP YOUR FREE UPGRADE

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 VIA WINDOWS UPDATE OR BEGINNING THE WINDOWS 10 SETUP WITHIN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP. THIS WILL REGISTER YOUR DEVICE AS A WINDOWS 10 DEVICE AND YOU MAY NOW CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON THE DEVICE.

From my extensive testing of the new Microsoft Product Testing introduced into Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10147 I can tell you the following:

•Direct clean installation from Windows 10 Installation Media, skipping product key twice or using the generic key leads to an unactivated product.
•Using the .iso to upgrade from the Windows Desktop will only allow activated versions of Windows to release the license agreement screen. This only allows Activated versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Insider 10130. After the install Windows 10 10147 is activated.
•Once the initial upgrade to Windows 10147 is complete the device is registered to Microsoft.
•Once a device is registered, you may clean install from the .iso by skipping product keys during Windows setup. Windows will activate automatically.
•The product activation is tied to the device. You can reinstall using a different Microsoft Account or Local Account and the device will activate.
•You may change minor hardware such as a SSD/HDD and clean install. I changed from a SSD to HDD for a quick test and Microsoft Product Activation was applied.
•It seems Windows Insiders with Build 10130 will be passed as eligible to reach Windows 10 RTM. Those who look to join the Windows 10 Insider program after the Windows 10130 .isos have been removed will not be able to install and activate Windows 10 Insider 10147 or later and hence will not be able to reach Windows 10 RTM.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts