Dell XPS 8700

dopemuch

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I am looking to buy a new computer and have stumbled upon the Dell XPS 8700. It looks like a nice and affordable computer.

Specs

Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Processor
Operating System: Windows 8, 64-bit, English
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 635 1GB DDR3

My main concern for this computer would be the graphics card.

My Uses

Minecraft: Highest Quality with fraps
Battlefield P4F: Highest Quality with fraps
Battlefield 3: Highest Quality

Would this computer be able to do that for me or would I be limited to not being able to record. I would mostly use the computer for gaming and hardly anything else. Also if I chose to buy this computer, what would be the monitor resolution that I should look for to get the best buy. Thank you in advance for the help.

you will be limited, not just with recording, you won't be able to run battlefield 3 on the highest quality with that card, even at lower resolutions, the GT 635 is incredibly weak because 1. it only has 1 Gb, 2. it uses DDR3 rather than the standard GDDR5 of video cards these days, DDR3 memory runs half as fast as GDDR5 as a reference point.

To be able to run battlefield 3 at the highest quality at 1080p smoothly, you will need something like a Geforce 560 Ti or above for Nvidia cards, or a HD 7850 or above for AMD cards. If you go with the GT 635 you may only be able to play BF3 on medium settings or low, if you lower the resolution to 720p you might be able to get medium/high smoothly

However, the rest of the components are indeed nice, the problem is that for gaming you'll need slightly stronger video cards, Dell often sells for general home use but once in a while they will have a great deal on a computer that can handle some gaming too.