[SOLVED] Dell XPS 8900 CPU Upgradability

Jan 3, 2019
I own a Dell XPS with the stock motherboard and stock CPU, which is a intel i7-6700. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU to a better model, and I just want to know what is the absolute limit I could upgrade to with my stock motherboard. Personally, I am looking at the i7 8700 but I don't really know if my motherboard could handle it.

Solution
If you have the 6700 as of now, then the highest you could go is the 7th Gen of Intel's Core i processors. You will need a new motherboard if you want to go to the 8th Generation or 9000 series of Intel Core i processors. Please take my post with a grain of salt since prebuilts tend to have limited BIOS functionality and can lock out other CPU's ram from going in. Best you send us screenshots of CPU-Z and also make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS update for your XPS.

Lutfij

Titan
If you have the 6700 as of now, then the highest you could go is the 7th Gen of Intel's Core i processors. You will need a new motherboard if you want to go to the 8th Generation or 9000 series of Intel Core i processors. Please take my post with a grain of salt since prebuilts tend to have limited BIOS functionality and can lock out other CPU's ram from going in. Best you send us screenshots of CPU-Z and also make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS update for your XPS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS