Question Dell XPS 8900 upgrade to Windows 11

Aug 19, 2022
Microsoft Update is telling me my Dell XPS 8900 is not elligible for a free upgrade to Windows 11 due to the CPU. Here the specs on the System Board and CPU (below). Question: Is the system upgradeable (I just update my BIOS from Dell to the latest version) to a better CPu that will pass muster with Microsoft.

Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel Core i7 6700
Codename Skylake
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1151 LGA (0x1)

My Google research has suggested that after I updated the BIOS I could upgrade from the current Intel Skylake CPU to a Kaby Lake CPU that might be Microsoft approved.

I'm looking for confirmation on this, and also which CPU is the upper limit that would go onto my board?

Thanks, Chris

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You cannot upgrade the CPU on that motherboard to anything new enough to be on W11. For now, there still seems to be no compelling reason to be on W11 for most users. According to your use case, perhaps not even a reason to change anything, at least for a few years yet.

Be a great opportunity to start planning a next upgrade, perhaps.

Aug 19, 2022
Yo. I know i'm new here, but I've built a pc before and came into the same problem as you did. Same thing happened to me. I have the same exact socket, LGA 1151, and was not eligible to upgrade to windows 11, probably because mine is too old, too. If you want some better performance out of your pc, I would suggest the i7-9700k. It is LGA 1151, goes to 5 ghz (I think) has 8 cores and 8 threads, and is pretty affordable. Works perfectly fine with an intel stock cooler with enough thermal paste. About upgrading to windows 11, though, I don't know why Microsoft is telling people their PC can't run windows 11. A lot of processors that are older still run super fast, and it just doesn't make sense. But, windows 10 is still going to be supported for a while longer and for me proves to be the better os of the two.

Microsoft Update is telling me my Dell XPS 8900 is not elligible for a free upgrade to Windows 11 due to the CPU. Here the specs on the System Board and CPU (below). Question: Is the system upgradeable (I just update my BIOS from Dell to the latest version) to a better CPu that will pass muster with Microsoft.

Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel Core i7 6700
Codename Skylake
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1151 LGA (0x1)

My Google research has suggested that after I updated the BIOS I could upgrade from the current Intel Skylake CPU to a Kaby Lake CPU that might be Microsoft approved.

I'm looking for confirmation on this, and also which CPU is the upper limit that would go onto my board?

Thanks, Chris
I think you need a 8th gen cpu minimum for w11.
Kaby lake is not going to make it.
Msft may change their mind tomorrow.