[SOLVED] dell xps 8940 not supporting 128gb ram?

Oct 19, 2020
So, i recently purchased a dell xps 8940 from microcenter with an installed 32gb ram 4x8gb sticks, I went to upgrade to 128gb 4x 32gb sticks from crucial (verified supported) 3200mhz downclocked to 2993 by the pc itself. I installed all 4 sticks made sure properly seated and the computer would not boot no beeps heard but the power button would turn white like normal then flash amber indicating a memory problem, i then removed 2 sticks of 32gb from corresponding black rails and left the x2 32gb in white rails and it booted stating new memory installed! clicked ok and it booted straight to windows no problem. Retried the x4 32gb setup no boot again. looked it up put 3 sticks in no boot aswell swapped x2 32 gb with x2 8gb sticks for a total of x2 32gb sticks and x2 8gb sticks with the same no boot problem. I did notice that when i installed all 4 ram sticks of x4 32gb and plugged the power cable back in the computer would turn itself on but not boot into windows. Any idea's the bios is updated to 29july20 and from what i see that is the most current? is it a mobo problem or potentially bad ram? or is it something else any help appreciated thanks!

**also i have the i7 10700, so it does support up to 128gb from factory.

TRENDING THREADS