Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Dell XPS 8490 Special Edition, and customized it myself on the Dell website.

Specs below:
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700K processor
Windows 10 Home English
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 3070(TM) 8GB GDDR6
32GB, 16Gx2, DDR4, 2933MHz
2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) - WHY DELL???
Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
500W Mineral White Bezel Chassis including optical drive

I am sure by now you might realize my worry, the power supply. And yes, I should have considered this issue before purchasing, but I was naïve in thinking Dell wouldn't sell me a power supply that may struggle with the build they provision themselves. I entered somewhat accurate data into the PSU calculator and was getting roughly 498~ required. (I am having trouble finding the proper motherboard supplied in this computer to input for an accurate calculation).

Does anyone know if this build will even work? And if so, what problems may I run into, and if anyone has any ideas for a solution that would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly happy with everything else I have read on the prebuilt, plus I will be receiving the upgraded cooling module that they supply when selecting an unlockable processor. So hopefully cooling isn't an issue either.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Solution
My guess is the system will work okay for now, but the best way to find out if you will have immediate issues is to test it yourself once it arrives. Load the system with a program like aida 64 stability test while running a graphical stress test like unigine superposition and see the result. Does the system run normally, or does it turn off and restart?

However it is possible that the system may operate fine at first, but over the years with wear, aging, and dust the power supply may start to have issues and cause shutdowns, crashes, or restarts.

As for a solution if you have issues, there are no good solutions. It looks like this model uses a proprietary power supply that cannot be upgraded to an off the shelf ATX unit, so your only...
My guess is the system will work okay for now, but the best way to find out if you will have immediate issues is to test it yourself once it arrives. Load the system with a program like aida 64 stability test while running a graphical stress test like unigine superposition and see the result. Does the system run normally, or does it turn off and restart?

However it is possible that the system may operate fine at first, but over the years with wear, aging, and dust the power supply may start to have issues and cause shutdowns, crashes, or restarts.

As for a solution if you have issues, there are no good solutions. It looks like this model uses a proprietary power supply that cannot be upgraded to an off the shelf ATX unit, so your only real choice is to reduce the systems power consumption by underclocking and undervolting components.

Reactions: Khf1212
Solution

Khf1212

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
@NightHawkRMX @rgd1101

Thank you both for your responses, helpful advice for sure. Ignorance is not an excuse on my part, but I still cant believe Dell is cutting it this close with their prebuilds!

I was considering doing that exact cooling upgrade at some point after doing a stability test and seeing what I am working with for temps etc. Not being able to upgrade the power ultimately is a bummer, hopefully I don't have to underclock anything, or rather switch out for a lesser GPU.

I will post my results after receiving the product.

Thanks again!

Reactions: rgd1101
Dell is very familiar with cutting it as close as possible. It saves cost

Motherboard power delivery, CPU cooler capacity, power supply wattage and quality, etc.

I do recall seeing the non k version of that XPS having vrms fail and cpus overheating badly.

Luckily the k version has a vrm heatsink and better but still not good cpu cooler.

Last edited: