Question Dell XPS 9100 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themolebowl900

Prominent
Dec 13, 2022
Dell XPS 9100 problem
I fired up my computer but it did not load Windows so I went to restart it in the power menu and it said that there was a Windows update, so I chose restart and update. It did not seem to be updating (just a black screen and spinning dots for two hours. So I forced a hard power reset with the power button. After that it would not start at all. No fans, no lights, nothing. Unplugged the power PSU cable held the power button 30 seconds, held the PSU button and waited 30 minutes. Finally upon pushing the power button the lights came on, fans were working but the system did not boot and the power button was continuously flashing amber. Forced a power off again and the same issue. I have not been able to find any information if this is a problem with the PSU or perhaps the motherboard or something else. Dell says an amber blinking power button can be any of these problems and it’s a big list:

2,1 Motherboard Failure Contact Technical Support
2,2 Motherboard: Power Supply Contact Technical Support
2,3 Motherboard: Memory or CPU Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots.
2,4 Bad Coin Cell Battery Replace the CMOS Battery and Contact Technical Support if issue persists.
2,5 BIOS Checksum Failure Flash BIOS and contact Technical Support if issue persists.
2,6 Bad CPU Contact Technical Support
2,7 Memory Failures Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots.
3,1 PCI Device or Video Subsystem failure Troubleshoot a No POST issue.
3,2 Video Subsystem failure Troubleshoot a No POST issue.
3,3 No Memory detected Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots.
3,4 Storage Subsystem failure Troubleshoot a No POST issue.
3,5 Memory configuration or incompatible error Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots.
3,6 System board failure Troubleshoot a No POST issue.
3,7 Possible Memory failure Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As i see it, you have 3 options:
  1. Contact Dell technical support.
  2. Haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them to diagnose (and possibly fix) the issues.
  3. Buy a new PC.

Since at current moment, one of the following, or all of them are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, PSU. While, most likely, you'd also have corrupted Windows on your OS drive.

I'd go with option #3. Least amount of hassle and better PC performance over what you had.
And since you have Dell prebuilt, with loads of proprietary hardware, i'm not even going to suggest replacement parts, in hopes to fix what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.