Dell xps 9100 only usable 4gb of 12gb ram

Oct 15, 2017
I have a dell xps 9100 motherboard with 12gb ocz flex ii ddr3 ram but the board only has 4088mb usable even if I put 8gb it says 4088mb usable and if I put 4gb it says 2gb usable!!!

WTH is going on????????????

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows? Also, what is the exact model number of the memory you have installed?

By the way, all of the "ocz flex ii ddr3" info I see says those are 2GB memory sticks. They seem to be sold in 2x2GB pairs for a total of 4GB in a kit. That would explain the 2GB and 4GB readings you mentioned.

I also assume you are using the integrated Intel video adapter, is that correct?

Check your DIMMs and make sure each is fully secured in the slot before removing anything. Power down your rig, leave in one DIMM, power it back up and see if the system comes up and operational. Check your system info in the control panel. Shut down, take out the DIMM, and replace it with one of the others. Do this until you've tested them all to make sure each is working as expected. If not, you'll clearly know which one is bad.

You can also do a memtest with them all installed:

https://www.memtest86.com/

Let us know what you find. Here's the manual for your machine:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-9100_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

The memory section begins on page 29.

Oct 15, 2017
It’s the bios having the issue there’s no os on it yet. And the ram is ocz flex ex series pc3 16000 8-8-8 pn ocz3fx20004gk
6x 2gb modules

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. So the BIOS is what is reporting the amount of available memory?

Oct 15, 2017
12gb detected 4 usable

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems one of two things going on...

1. The memory is incompatible (not fully compatible) with the motherboard. Do you have any other memory to try?

2. You have bent pins in the CPU socket affecting memory management. Have you inspected the mobo CPU socket?

Oct 15, 2017
Socket is fine and no I don’t have any more ram

Oct 15, 2017
Any idea what ram I should get that’ll work?? Brand?? Specs?????