Question Dell XPS 9560 random BSODs

Sep 16, 2019
Hello.

I have semi random BSODs (and also kernel panics on Linux) since I bought the laptop about two years ago, it may happen 10 times a day or once a month. I've read a lot of forums regarding this issue and nothing seems to help. Although there're some symptoms which could lead to the source of the problem:

1. It doesn't depend on which OS I'm running, I have BSODs on Windows and kernel panics on Linux
  2. Most of the times it happens when I ether watching youtube, videochating on Skype or playing games
  3. More often I'm getting a BSOD with video artifacts like on this video:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQ8aTEg2w4
    sometimes it's also accompanied by loud screeching noises from the speakers
  4. I'm not sure completely, but it seems like I have no such problem when I'm using live USB systems (may be not true because of the randomness of the problem)
Some of the things I've already tried:

1. I've updated all of my drivers, firmwares and the bios from the Dell website
  2. Checked all the hardware with the Dell tool (no problems were found)
  3. Run the memtest multiple times (no problems found)
  4. The only test that failed a couple of times is SeaTools Bootable https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-use-seatools-bootable-007843en/ so this could be related to the SSD I guess..?
  5. Tried different benchmarks for GPU (both integrated and Nvidia one), CPU and SSD
Here are my latest dump files from Windows https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YNbtRY4pPh6eLDFUo4X4Es9dE9EhJEfY/view?usp=sharing

Maybe it will also worth noting that I don't get the dump every time the computer crashes. Hoping for your help. Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 2019
Here's the WhoCrashed report btw

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-9HUO4KA
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: XPS 15 9560, Dell Inc., 05FFDN
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel8664, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17024778240 bytes (15,9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sun 15.09.2019 15:22:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091519-9078-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xEDA8F7, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8066A502AA0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 15.09.2019 15:22:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8189)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xEDA8F7, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8066A502AA0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 12.09.2019 18:14:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091219-13234-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdf01000.sys (Wdf01000+0x5B828)
Bugcheck code: 0x10D (0x5, 0x3B7D67AB9F98, 0x1018, 0xFFFFC4829859CAE0)
Error: WDF_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
product: Операционная система Microsoft® Windows®
description: Среда выполнения платформы драйвера режима ядра
Bug check description: This indicates that Kernel-Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) detected that Windows found an error in a framework-based driver.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 09.09.2019 20:20:52 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090919-8875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BFCC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF80507261630, 0xFFFF8D0BA0896AC0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Wed 21.08.2019 18:37:52 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082119-8984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: qcamain10x64.sys (0xFFFFF804928FFC08)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFF804928FFC08, 0x90000044BF64021, 0xFFFFA186E77C73D0, 0xB)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\qcamain10x64.sys
product: Driver for Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4/QCA9377 Network Adapter
company: Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.
description: Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: qcamain10x64.sys (Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.).
Google query: qcamain10x64.sys Qualcomm Atheros, Inc. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

On Fri 09.08.2019 1:08:12 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080919-8390-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC900)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8034463E30D, 0x1, 0x49558)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

qcamain10x64.sys (Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites
I heard about the problems with the wifi on this laptop, but I tried using USB wifi adapter instead of this one and it crashed anyways. Maybe I need to try it again while physically removing the onboard wifi device?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
8 passes on each memory stick separately and no errors at all (tried on different slots). Although there were no BSODs while I left it playing youtube videos with only one installed. Will do the same for the second stick tonight. Any help will be apreciated, thanks.

Btw, this is why I think this may be SSD:
  1. There was at least one time I had to repair my partition because Linux won't load
  2. I fixed the windows files with DISM (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth) a couple of times which means they were broken for some reason
  3. The failed SeaTools test above
May this be related to the fact that I have both pagefile on windows and swap partition on linux enabled on this SSD? I wasn't able to find anything if this could cause such problems or not.

Also, here's the SMART report for it (nothing suspicios apart from the unsafe shutdowns count, mostly because of BSODs and kernel panics):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Q2TzZeJjMJ0TUC-LcR99YHC9xb16_Up/view

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS