Dell XPS Gen 4 - Physical Security

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

Folks:

I have a client who is likely going to purchase a XPS Gen 4, fully blown
with the 3.8Ghz processor, 4Gb of RAM, the ATI Radeon X850 XT, etc etc.

Needless to say, it will be an impressive beast and highly desireable by
all.

With that said, we need to think about physical security. Does anyone have
any suggestions? I know the XPS comes with a chassis bolt that we can lock
the casing, but what can we do to prevent it from taking itself for a walk?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

eXcalibur

"eXcalibur" <eXcalibur@usenet.newsgroup> wrote in message
> Folks:
>
> I have a client who is likely going to purchase a XPS Gen 4, fully blown
> with the 3.8Ghz processor, 4Gb of RAM, the ATI Radeon X850 XT, etc etc.
>
> Needless to say, it will be an impressive beast and highly desireable by
> all.
>
> With that said, we need to think about physical security. Does anyone
> have
> any suggestions? I know the XPS comes with a chassis bolt that we can
> lock
> the casing, but what can we do to prevent it from taking itself for a
> walk?
>
> Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers!
>
> eXcalibur

Cable them down to something immobile: (link is just a quick-grab example)

http://www.discountofficesupplies.com/ce/shop/ui

Stew

If it's anything like my Gen 3, no one could get very far with it - it
weighs a TON!

"eXcalibur" <eXcalibur@usenet.newsgroup> wrote in message
> Folks:
>
> I have a client who is likely going to purchase a XPS Gen 4, fully blown
> with the 3.8Ghz processor, 4Gb of RAM, the ATI Radeon X850 XT, etc etc.
>
> Needless to say, it will be an impressive beast and highly desireable by
> all.
>
> With that said, we need to think about physical security. Does anyone
> have
> any suggestions? I know the XPS comes with a chassis bolt that we can
> lock
> the casing, but what can we do to prevent it from taking itself for a
> walk?
>
> Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers!
>
> eXcalibur

James

eXcalibur <eXcalibur@usenet.newsgroup> wrote:
> Folks:

> I have a client who is likely going to purchase a XPS Gen 4, fully blown
> with the 3.8Ghz processor, 4Gb of RAM, the ATI Radeon X850 XT, etc etc.

> Needless to say, it will be an impressive beast and highly desireable by
> all.

> With that said, we need to think about physical security. Does anyone have
> any suggestions? I know the XPS comes with a chassis bolt that we can lock
> the casing, but what can we do to prevent it from taking itself for a walk?

> Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

1) Notch it down to a 3.2 and save a bundle. I'm shooting from the
hip here and I have no desire to figure out the best price point.
But buying fastest gives marginal performance gains and a big fat
sticker price. A lot of people like "bragging rights." It's
fleeting.

2) If it's likely to be stolen, go see 1 above. Consider notching
it down to a slow 800 FSB P4. Perhaps a 2.4E? (hip)

3) Always password protect everything.

4) Update homeowner's/renter's insurance information. Make sure they
know a new system is in place.