[SOLVED] Dell xps keyboard replacement not recognized in BIOS

Mar 8, 2022
I ordered a replacement keyboard for my Dell XPS 7390 2 in 1 laptop and installed it today. However, it (and the touchpad, which I did not replace) is not recognized by the BIOS. I'm getting a diagnostics error about the touchpad cable, which seems like a solid lead, but I disassembled everything again, unattached and reattached the touchpad cable as well as the keyboard cable, and no change. I double-checked the packing slip for the part and it does claim to be for the right model, though I got it from a third-party supplier (parts-people).

Is my replacement just a dud? Are there any other troubleshooting steps you would take? The replacement was quite invasive so there are potentially tons of things that could have gone wrong, but I'm at a bit of a loss right now what to try next.

Mar 8, 2022
Update for future googlers: I replaced the touchpad ribbon cable, and nothing changed. I put the case back on and was about to give up but then pressed pretty hard on the touchpad/ lower keyboard area and felt something snap into place. I did that some more and eventually everything started working. I guess the original keyboard replacement wasn't seated properly.

TRENDING THREADS