Question Dell XPS Tower slow after Windows 11 update

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
What up team?

I recently migrated (upgraded?) to Windows 11 Home on my Dell XPS Tower (10th gen Intel i3 - 10100 @ 3.60 GHz / 4-core, 6M cache / 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with 360W PSU) that I use for mostly for work stuff (Office 365 applications, spreadsheets, browsing online, etc.) and noticed a drop in response time when booting up, opening simple stuff like word documents or load times on certain webpages such as Amazon when using Chrome after going with Windows 11.

Certain programs take forever to open like an anti-virus scan or even the software to customize my Corsair Keyboard (iCue).

I know 8GB of DDRAM isn't much but the performance has been decent with the previous version of Windows, without noticeable lag or delays in web browsing or application opening. I have 612 GB free of the 916 that the 1TB HD and am thinking to upgrading to an SSD as I have an XPS13 laptop that boots up super quick, despite being a 2017 model.

The XPS Tower is a late 2020 model. What else besides adding more RAM (is another 8GB sufficient?) and going with an SSD as the primary hard drive can be done to boost/improve performance.

I do not game on this computer nor does it have any graphics card. That is something I would like to get (now that prices are low) but I understand Dell uses proprietary power supplies and very few cards are compatible. I think the most I could do is a 1660 Super, but that's for another tread.

Any suggestions to help the pc run a little faster/smoother would be great, as I use this for working remotely. This is my personal PC and not managed by a company IT or anything like that.

Thanks, MD.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Take this with a grain of salt.

If you are already used to the HDD, which is severely hampering that systems responsiveness...

You might consider going to Windows Security/Device Security/Core Isolation/Memory Integrity and test the perceived performance with that slider 'off'.

Being aware that there 'could be' real risk from choosing to turn that off, I use a 10th gen i3 that suffers with that slider on. For whatever that is worth to you...

Reactions: stonecarver

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt.

If you are already used to the HDD, which is severely hampering that systems responsiveness...

You might consider going to Windows Security/Device Security/Core Isolation/Memory Integrity and test the perceived performance with that slider 'off'.

Being aware that there 'could be' real risk from choosing to turn that off, I use a 10th gen i3 that suffers with that slider on. For whatever that is worth to you...
I think that is a viable option, however I will probably make the switch to HDD to SSD and upgrade the RAM to see if boot up times improve.

is the Core Isolation/Memory Integrity an option on an SSD? I thought it was a Windows 11 thing?

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
I have since switched from HDD to SSD and performance has improved. I have attempted to turn "on" the Memory Integrity in the Core Isolation, however it says it cannot be turned on because of a missing driver. How do I get the driver(s) or the Memory Integrity to be back on?

Reactions: stonecarver