Dell XPS13 freezes within 10 min of every startup

Oct 31, 2018
I have a Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 that I purchased back in 2015. I'm embarrassed to say that I've been having this issue since the beginning and am only now asking for help (kept thinking I would discover the cause on my own, or couldn't spare the time to troubleshoot. I've been gradually forum-scraping and trying different tests and fixes over the years as time allows, but I'm at a breaking point.

I can't get the issue to occur in Safe Mode (though I'm not entirely convinced that it won't).

I'm only using Windows Defender as an AV and using Macrium Reflect for backups (switched away from Acronis because I thought it might be causing the issue. Once I reboot after a freeze, I can use it indefinitely without any further freezes. Until I reboot or put the system into standby.

In the freeze state, the monitor stays on (frozen), but the fan stops (system has an SSD, so no HD spinning sound to listen for).

Any tips? Troubleshooting suggestions? Help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try these, obviously don't do all if 1 fixes it

1. Try tuning off Fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
It could be one of your drivers needs to be updated, and turning off fast startup might let it boot normally. Win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it uses a hybrid hibernate state and saves a copy of all old drivers _ the kernel into ram so when you start PC, its already half loaded. Drivers not written for this mode can have all sorts of reactions.

2. Try running the dell update program and see if it suggests any new drivers, or just visit support site for your model (I won't guess as there seem to be a few Dell XPS 13) and run detect drivers. there should also be a diagnostics tab there too.

3. Have you tried a clean boot to see if it still happens

carefully read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or win 10 may not boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if that fixes it, its likely the freeze caused by a startup program, expecially given the timing, Slowly, over a few startups, re add programs and services you stopped to find the cause. Then we can go figure out solution.

TRENDING THREADS