Question dell xps8930 network

Apr 9, 2019
I can't connect to all pc's on my local network. I keep getting message "Windows cannot access …". I also get the same message if I try to access the 8930 from another PC on the network. I tried pinging another PC and I get a response but if I try from file explorer I get the error message. I have 6 PC's on the network and I can access 3 of them but not the others and I can not access the 8930 from any of them.

Apr 9, 2019
Is the windows version the same on all PCs? Are they configured as private rather than public network on each PC?
They are all running Windows 10 pro and they are all on the same workgroup, they are all labeled as public networks but with different nams; one says network 2 while others say network 3, network 4 …. All the other pc are old and have no trouble connecting to each other it is only the new 8930 that is having trouble connecting. The network name on the 8930 BHNT-5G which is the Brighthouse wi-fi. The 8930 has both wired and wi-fi but I am using the ethernet connection - I logged on to the modems client list and it says I am connected to ethernet not wi-fi.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019
All of the PCs are set to public and all except the 8930 can connect to each other. Can the network name on the 8930 being different than the others be a problem? Network discovery and file and print sharing are turned on in all PCs including the 8930.