dell4550 xp home system near death. can it be resurrected?

Shamux

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Hello,
I'm having great truoubles with my three year old dell 4550 xp home edition system. The first thing that I noticed was that when I used the task manager it would not show any function except for running programs and that I need to restart to get rid of the task manager window.
When I try to free disk space the program will stop with an error reading about 10% of the way through. The computer sounds loud even when I'm in suspend mode,
I've scandisked and defraged and used last good configuration and the computer freezes-up still and is noisey. I must have some missing and /or fragmented files I suppose.
What could I do to restore a compleatly correct operating system? What are the problems with a reinstall and the limitations because it's a xp HOME edition? How do I restore the registry so that it is pristine? Thanks----- anxiously Shamux.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Would you have a huge problem starting over "fresh"?

It sounds like there are multiple issues with the OS as it stands now.

How pro-active are you about maintaining your pc in top shape?

Shamux

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Thank you for your reply,
I am fairly sporatic in my care of my computer. I downloaded the present McAfee virus software and it identified numerious infections. The quality of my gratis cable provider securiy software is suspect to me.
When I ran the istillation disk it read that it's O.S. was now incompatable with my present O.S. so that I would have to uninstall the O.S. rather then overwrite it. Can I extract files from my installation disk or system disk in Home edition? How would this be done? Is there a free or inexpensive utility that I could download that would contribute to the resolution of my problems?
Right now my system is quiet and responsive but I want to be prepared if it betrays me tommorow? How risky and laborious would it be to start fresh and can you suggest somethings that I could try shy of that step?
Thanks-------Shamux

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
A few things.

First, put yourself behind a hardware firewall - a cable router like Linksys. Setup instructions are fairly simple.

Uninstall your providers' security software.

Open IE - Tools - Internet Options - Temporary Internet Files - Delete. Close IE.

Go to these three folders and delete everything XP will allow:
Start - Run - %temp%
Windows - Temp
Windows - Prefetch

Go to Trend-Micro's site and let them scan your pc and clean it.

Download Avast anti-virus (free), and run it.

Get MS AntiSpyware (free), and AdAware SE (free); update them and run them.

Run Defrag twice, and then tell us how you are.

Sounds like you accidentally double-clicked the menu bar on the task manager. This closes the menu, but if you double-click the very top of the window... it should come back.