Dell's 27-Inch 5K Monitor Available Soon For Under $2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
or just get the new retina iMac for $2500, which will prob be a better monitor that already includes a desktop inside of it? No brainer.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Here's the thing, I'm not a common poster but I love reading Tom's articles and I feel that 90% of posters don't understand the market and purpose of half the products reviewed. They immediately respond with "that's too expensive" or "why doesn't it have ______" not understanding that this is "almost" a first-to-market product CLEARLY designed for a niche market.

Please don't comment on how Dell needs to sell a Professional grade panel, 5K, 10-bit panel with 99% adobe color spectrum CLEARLY designed and marketed to professional editors, cinematographers, and photographers, with a use case for AutoCAD, for less than $1000 or how it doesn't have 60 fps or how you won't be able to game on it because of input lag. All of those things are irrelevant to this product.

I am aware that the trolls will come, but for all the true Tom's fans that value the different markets and understand that these products have niches, I personally would love to here your comments on this product :).

dgingeri

Distinguished
Where the heck is the U3415w? I've been hearing about it for months, while this one is already listed on Dell's site for $2500. I would prefer the U3415w over this one.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Sorry Condor, but if it DOES have noticeable input lag content creators will notice. And they will bitch. Let's hope dell can get that sorted before they hit the shelves.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I have no use for it, but I am sure plenty of folks who you don't hear from that much on tech sites will. I will say the 4K+ thing is already old. I am so sorry panel manufacturers that we never drank the 3D Koolaid! Really and truly sorry! Please stop telling me I have to have 4K+ when I really don't.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Sorry Condor, but if it DOES have noticeable input lag content creators will notice. And they will bitch. Let's hope dell can get that sorted before they hit the shelves.

8ms gray-to-gray is not a problem for professional use cases. Not even close.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
I wanna see a Hitlers reaction to recently buying a 4k Swift ROG, and then hearing about the release of 5k. 4K blu-ray haven't even come out yet, and people are already jumping to 5k, theres no point in buying this, even for media production.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
It's getting ridiculous that we've got some outstanding panels for content creation coming out... integrating some great technology, high tech at its best. BUT... the connections are evolving so slowly that it now takes TWO of the highest performance interconnects currently available to drive the highest resolution panels. For over a year now we've been waiting for next gen HDMI... now we also need next gen Displayport... this is stupid... get your act together display and graphics adapter market! There aren't THAT many players that this should be taking as long as it has taken.

I have two 1440p 27" Dells now (U2713). If Dell would eventually offer a 32" 5K for under $2,000US I'd be extremely interested. If I'm moving up in pixels, I'm moving up in screen size just like I moved up from 1080p 24" to 1440p 27".

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
How strange!
No one has pointed out that the price has changed because, between the date of submission and availability, was released the iMac 5K, which comes with GPU R9 M290X, or M295X, and LG panel with 5120x2880 pixels priced from $ 2499?

Being an All-In-One the iMac does not need to OUT ports and protocols "late". It runs in the 5K, with 30 bpp at 60 Hz, although it is not yet available Dysplay Port 1.3. Great invention the one Apple!

Since this article Tom'sHardware I would expect to be informed if the panel in the Dell UP2715K is the same LG Apple iMac or if it is different.

In the Monitor Panel Part Database: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm
I find only
LG.Display - AH-IPS - LM270QQ1-SDA2 - 5120 x 2880 - 14ms G2G - 1000: 1
Sharp - IGZO LQ270D1JG01 - 5120x2880 - ??? - 1500: 1
... and all these technical look a little different from the ones provided by Dell.

Margret

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I just got this link today, Nov. 8! So I double checked -- it might have been sent to me earlier and I missed it somehow. Nope, this was the first time. Too bad, too. I could really have used this stuff.

So, then I went to my subscription page, to see whether I could set it for daily digests. Nope again. Once a week is the limit.

If anyone figures out a way around this limitation, please let me know.

Margret

nerys

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I guess the big question for me is whether 27" is large enough for a 15mp resolution (nearly double 4k !! wow)

Grrr so do I get the 65" 4k panel I was drooling over or save up and get this panel? I could always run a cheap 50" 1080p panel for gaming. I mean its not like I have the $3000 needed to build a PC capable of pushing a game at usable fps at 4k not to speak of 5k :)

-Lone-

Admirable

Get the Panasonic AX900, probably around $7,500 on release date :)

Status
Not open for further replies.