Dell's Sleek Adamo Arrives Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
well, its a dell, so i wouldnt buy it anyway.

does it have a cd drive built in?
is it going to run as hot as the macbook air?
what sort of battery (and battery life) can we expect?

this article leaves alot to be desired in a comparison between the macbook air and the dell adamo

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
wow, not often you see someone come and release a similar product to apple, but more expensive and doesn't have as good specs..heck, at least apple offers the option of a traditional hard drive if you want (well, the option of an ssd actually, but my point is you aren't forced with ssd if your unsure of it)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
More thin bull?

Are people really this stupid? Why would anyone want a laptop that is more expensive, easier to break, and underperforming.

You're giving up huge fuctionality for fractions of an inch. If that's not retarded I don't know what is.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
this article leaves alot to be desired in a comparison between the macbook air and the dell adamo

Well, this is just a news item. I expect all the major hardware and consumer electronics sites will have thorough reviews soon.

A bit disappointing on the hardware side - the low-end model should have come with a 1.6 GHz chip and the high-end one with 1.8 or 2 GHz and both models should have shipped with 4GB of RAM. I like that both ship with a big SSD though - I hope you get decent random write performance at that price... I don't think the Intel graphics is going to be a problem though, as gamers hardly make up the target audience. If it doesn't play back HD video smoothly, that might be a problem however.

Computers like the Adamo, Air etc. are really niche products. They are more of a fashion statement than usable computers. They try to combine form and function but any trade offs seem to be made in favor of form rather than function - ie instead of making it slightly thicker to make room for better cooling, they go with a slower CPU etc.
They're like a gucci bag or similar - most find them pointless because you can use any $20 bag to carry stuff, but some will pay through their nose for a certain brand or design.

barrychuck

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
After the Nvidia articles about failing IGP chipsets, can we really say the 9400m would be a better choice in an ultraportable with limited space? I think Dell has spoken to this with the lower CPU speed and the graphics choice. A working laptop is better than a malfunctioning one. I'm not saying the Air has issues, just that you can see how Dell engineers looked at the situation and chose reliability over raw speed.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Actually it was previous revs of Nvidia's graphics failing, I haven't read anything about mass failings of the 9400m, this is a very new chip.

[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]More thin bull?Are people really this stupid? Why would anyone want a laptop that is more expensive, easier to break, and underperforming.You're giving up huge fuctionality for fractions of an inch. If that's not retarded I don't know what is.[/citation]

More expensive and underperforming? Yes, but I can't call this easier to break. It's machined from a chunk of aircraft grade aluminum alloy (I would guess that means 6061 T6 or 7075 T6 - really strong stuff). It should be quite well built, and able to take quite a beating. I still don't think it's worth it though - it should really have better specs.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Two thousand dollars? I think I'll take a laptop that performs equally well, is slightly larger, and costs $350 at a local brick and mortar store. How much is being "sleek" really worth?

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Beside the fact that you fork out 2k on a seriously under performing laptop, you don't get the nice perks of fitting in with the cool kids with a Mac. Way to go Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.