Dell's Thinnest Monitor Ever is a 23" 1080p LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i would love if they focused on making thinner bezels or hell why not make the bezel clear and go over the panel that way it wont be as obtrusive. Shit i should patent it before apple does and sues me because its "prior art" even though they'll make this in a couple years.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
"It's only got a VGA and DVI input, but thankfully it comes with an HDMI to DVI connector so you can still run your console or Blu-ray player into it."
-______-" Do you mean a HDMI input or a DVI to HDMI connector?
It looks sweet but I had too many bad experiences with Dell to even dare try...

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is dumb. Improve image/color quality. No one cares if a monitor is 1/10th slimmer than the previous model.

Yes, CRT to LCD is a giant leap - and that really makes a difference. However, fighting over a few mm is hardly impressive, or cost effective. Give me a better quality monitor, and make it look sexy. I don't care about it being 1mm thinner.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kelvinty[/nom]It looks sweet but I had too many bad experiences with Dell to even dare try...[/citation]
Their monitors are pretty damn good in my experience, although I've never owned one of their TN monitors. Their UltraSharp Monitors tend to offer impressive image quality and competitive prices, as far as IPS panels go.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Now that you made it so slim, put a 3 cm back case and stuff it with a MB , an A8 AMD CPU a SSD a power source and make a god damn all in one PC.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Martin9630[/nom]I'm quite sure you look at a monitor from the front, rather than the side.[/citation]
Instead of putting them on a diet, I'd rather they trim the bezel for exactly that reason.

Also, external power brick? Hmmm... No thanks.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Bad luck that Dell is only an OEM brand,because I'd rather trust buying from the likes of Asus,etc...[/citation]

Well the reason for this is that their consumer focus is through their website directly, whereas the primary focus of Dell is Business/Enterprise direct and through the partner channel.

I've owned three Dell laptops and sold plenty more to business users as a Dell Partner here in the UK, and I'm yet to have any problems with them.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]LG and Samsung put Dell to shame. Maybe not in thinness, but in image quality where it counts.[/citation]
What? In a TN, where it doesn't count one bit because it is so disgusting? Dell produces some of the best IPS professional monitors on the market.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]This is dumb. Improve image/color quality. No one cares if a monitor is 1/10th slimmer than the previous model. Yes, CRT to LCD is a giant leap - and that really makes a difference. However, fighting over a few mm is hardly impressive, or cost effective. Give me a better quality monitor, and make it look sexy. I don't care about it being 1mm thinner.[/citation]

lets specifying, in some aspects. for a long time crts kicked lcds collective (done want sanction for word), and still do in the areas of black levels and color (less you get insanely expensive models) and even the cheap crts never had problems with viewing angel, but i cant look from one side of my lcd to the other and not see distortion in color, seriously, its like a 7-13 degree angle and the color is off, and by a hell of allot, its a syncmaster t240hd, yea i didn't spend allot, but even my oldest crt (12 years) handled color better than this, and it was a bargain monitor even back than.

now, when are they going to bring oleds out? the tech has to have matured enough to make a 200+ dpi versions for phones and such, why cant they make a 100dpi for a 23inch monitor without it costing multi thousands? from my understanding oled is also cheaper to manufacture than lcd.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Yes, but the pixel pitch is a whopping .265. This is TERRIBLE compared to monitors for $100 less like the Lenovo L2262wA with a .245 pixel pitch. Pixel pitch is what makes your fonts appear crisp and smooth. The higher the pitch, the "cloudier" and more pixelated fonts appear resulting in eye strain.

Fail.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
so they basically use the same design hat they use for their laptops but increased the size a few inches.

Only issue is they end up with the same issues as laptop screens, to make them thinner they have to cut corners on the backlighting material so you get uneven backlighting. (Even the most expensive ultra thin tv's have issues with backlighting.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
bezels are good, they give your eye a break from any background contrasting patterns where the lcd is used. it also allows you to grab the screen and tilt it without greasing it up. keep all bezels, put logos on the back or side. the buttons on the bottom right like i-inc are easiest to use and have the least amount of force applied when used.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Wow they make the thinnest monitor then put the input connectors straight out the back. Why not have them plug in from either the side or the bottom? Having them plug in straight from the back defeats the purpose o f having a slim monitor.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
You got that right, Caspertouch!

What if you want to attach the monitor to a standard mounting bracket? Oops, most consumer models did away with those.

1920x1080... yawn. That is STANDARD computer resolution nowadays. The slightly lower res 1440x860 (whatever) is for 21" displays for $30 less.

My 24" 1920x1200 res monitor has a 1" thick bezel, but its foot print with the stand is about the same as this NEW Dell monitor.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

What are you talking about?? Every single flat panel I've gotten for myself, or a client (including one just two weeks ago) has the capability to be mounted and the base removed. From the cheap $89 18.5" ones to the bigger 24" HD LED's.

That is unusual though, because even on those "cheap" ones, most all the connectors are downward facing, including the power. That at least makes sense!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Martin9630[/nom]I'm quite sure you look at a monitor from the front, rather than the side.[/citation]
very good point....i hate it how companies are focusing on how thin they can make monitors and television, when in real live it really doesn't matter. laptops have had the thinnest monitor ever, and always will, no matter how you twist it....they really need to make them more energy efficient

G

I dont see any Vesa mounting holes on the back of this monitor and sadly this is kind of a trend lately with monitors intended to go to retail.

Also I have to agree that having the thinest monitor isnt important, I would prefer an ultra slim bezel for a multimonitor setup. Sadly this also doesnt seem to be improving within the computer monitor market. (yes i know samsung makes 1 model but its severely over priced)

Status
Not open for further replies.