Dell's Thumb-Size Ophelia PC Shipping Aug-Oct Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Gadgets are getting to the point extreme gimmickness. People don't need most of the things launched. I'm actually quite puzzled as to how all of the new products being released are still profitable...

Seems like people just listen to ads and go on a shopping frenzy... And worst of all: if you tell them they are wrong and don't need it, they immediately become hostile and try to defend the damn things as their offspring. DAMNIT, MARKETING PEOPLE! I HATE YOU!!!

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Unfortunately, most people do what the talking box tells them to do.

Aaron Briggs

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Giovanni i couldn't agree with you more. I blame the mobile market it has brain washed people to buy stuff asap cause your current stuff is crap. Hell they have commercials of people throwing 700 smartphones in the trash cause its old. Its sad

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Isn't this a bit superfluous when it won't be long before smart phones dock with screens and keyboards, and you use the same device at most locations?

It seems like this is not particularly useful except in engineering exercises. I can't imagine companies using this kind of technology when WYSE already has quite secure and competent thin clients out there already without the downsides of these USB devices. And really... how often do you come across touch-enabled stand-alone screens in a work environment? And who the heck imagines that anybody is going to do work on a computer without a keyboard?

Touchscreens are for portability and content consumption. A workstation with keyboard and mouse (with or without touchscreen) is for work and content creation. These USB things are... well I can't really think of any way they could be useful that another device can't do better except for browsing the web on a big format TV... and who does that?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

x86 and Microsoft seem far behind in this area.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

That's only the OS in a USB thumb drive. There is no x86 computer in the USB drive. A thumb-size x86 PC will need to be a full PC (x86 CPU, GPU, RAM, Chipset, SSD or Micro SD, etc.) and a HDMI port out the back for a monitor - and a USB hub for connecting a keyboard mouse, etc..
Using the Windows to go, you will need to plug the USB drive in a real computer and the PC will boot/run the OS off the USB drive. A nice feature, not no where near a PC on a stick.

g-unit1111

Titan

I completely agree. Do we really need Google Glass or smart watches? Do people really need to be connected 24/7?

Seems like people just listen to ads and go on a shopping frenzy... And worst of all: if you tell them they are wrong and don't need it, they immediately become hostile and try to defend the damn things as their offspring. DAMNIT, MARKETING PEOPLE! I HATE YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiA_kmGqzE

Status
Not open for further replies.