[SOLVED] Delta Cooling Fans

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I had a Delta Fan before and used a fan controller with it. But I don't remember how the noise was on the lowest level. I am thinking about using 6 Delta FFC1212D-PWM fans on my current system in order to have a wide range of cooling available. I was wondering if this wouldn't be too loud on it's lowest settings since that is where it will most likely sit most of the time, or just go with 6 Noctua fans instead.

Solution
Inwin 905 is a very appealing case, but a poor one for cooling.

I can understand the desire for strong fans.
I would pick a different case, but I do not value looks as much as performance. Your call.

I would suggest you plan on three strong 120mm intakes on the bottom. Normally, 1200 rpm is ok.
But, if you can tolerate noise, noctua makes a good 3000 rpm fan.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-chromax-black-swap-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-002R3
You can always dial back a fast fan, but you can't speed up a slow one.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Six of those fans appears to be overkill for most computers. The fan specs DO offer high max air flow, high max back pressure (not needed for case fans) VERY high noise at full speed, and VERY high cost. They pull a lot of current, so you would certainly need a powered fan Hub since I doubt your mobo would have six free case fan headers.

Many people would consider six good Noctuas more than enough to keep a case cool, and the will cost less, consume less power and produce much less noise.

What is the make/model of your prospective case?
What will be the cpu and gpu that you need to cool?

Since you have the fans, why not see how they do?
I would think that normally, 3 front intakes and one rear exhaust running at 1200 rpm would cool about anything well.

Considering the amperage draw potential of a 4000 rpm fan, you
might want an aux fan controller and not depend on motherboard control.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I don't have the fans, but I had them in the past. I would be using a fan controller despite my mobo having the headers for it due to the power draw on the fans. However, I hit a snag in the plan. I can't find a modern fan controller that can support 20watt fans.
It would go into an Inwin 905 case, 3 bottom intake fans. 2 front exhaust and 1 rear exhaust.
They would be cooling rads for an Rtx 3090 and Ryzen 3800.

Inwin 905 is a very appealing case, but a poor one for cooling.

I can understand the desire for strong fans.
I would pick a different case, but I do not value looks as much as performance. Your call.

I would suggest you plan on three strong 120mm intakes on the bottom. Normally, 1200 rpm is ok.
But, if you can tolerate noise, noctua makes a good 3000 rpm fan.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-chromax-black-swap-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-002R3
You can always dial back a fast fan, but you can't speed up a slow one.

Solution
Since my 1st Aio (h80)i I have used nothing but Noctua IPPC's 3000's on my Aio's
1x h100iv2 on my wifes unit
2x h110i's on mine and my son's unit.
Yes they can be loud at Max rpm but 95% of the time they run at about 1600rpm and are Very tolerable.

If I ever decide to dabble in a custom water loop I will make sure Noctua IPPC's are on any rad.

Be sure to watch on Newegg who the seller or shipper is as the above link has those fans at a higher price then others.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-f12-ippc-3000-pwm/p/N82E16835608052

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree with geofelt. Also within the Noctua line, look closely at their IndustrialPPC models. They deliver much more air flow than regular models, use a bit more power and generate more noise at top speed than their regular models. The don't create the huge air flow of the Delta units you mentioned, but I think they do give you all the max airflow you would need.

I think you may be confused on fan power. It may be specified in terms of Amps or Watts at full speed, or both. Full speed means always that the fan is supplied with 12 VDC. Watts = Amps x Volts. So, for example, a fan that consumes 1.0 A current at full speed is consuming 12 W power; a fan using 20 W power at 12 VDC is consuming 20/12 = 1.67 A current. Most mobo fan headers can supply up to 1.0 A current max to all fans connected to that header, so you could not connect a 20W fan to one. But a powered fan HUB often can handle that on one output port, and most can handle several fans like that connected to separate output ports.

A fan HUB is not the same as a third-party Fan Controller module you mount in the front panel. It is a smaller box mounted inside your case with two cable connections: one to a power output from the PSU, and another to a mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header. The latter cable picks up from the header the PWM signal for the new 4-pin fans and that is distributed to the fans on the Hub. So the mobo header MUST be configured to use the new PWM Mode of fan control, and not the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). Likewise, the fans you use with this MUST be of the new 4-pin PWM type, not the older 3-pin type.

There's another important limit for a fan Hub OR Controllers box you need to keep in mind with your plans, depending on how you finalize. One common source of power for the unit is a SATA power output connector from the PSU. BUT the standard SATA connector has a limit of max 4.5 A total current to the connected device, and you are talking about several fans with up to 1.67 A max current. The other power option for the Hub or Controller is via a 4-pin Molex output from the PSU. IF that is part of the Hub's design, that type of connector CAN supply well over 10 A total current, so it would work IF you choose those Delta fans and need that much power.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A problem with these faster fans, whether during stress testing, or other high thermal scenarios:
If temps exceed a certain ceiling, the fan curve set by the user is ignored, and the fans will run full blast.
It might be motherboard specific; 80C on mine.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I understand that Watts = amps x volts. The wattage on the Delta Fans is pretty big and they list the wattage and voltage on their website. I obviously wasn't going to hook a delta fan up to the mobo due to their power draw. I didn't know the molex powered units could support a higher current, I was only looking at the SATA powered ones. But I think I will go with your suggestion and get the Noctua IndustrialPPC models since they draw substantially less power.