Deploy under Terminal Server Environment

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi Group..

It is possible deploy software under Terminal Server 2003? can some body
recomend this, or is a bad idea?
thanks...

Luis Falch
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Could you be a bit more specific, Luis?
Why would it be a bad idea to deploy software on a TS? If it was, why
would Terminal Services have been developed at all? I've always
thought that that was the main idea behind TS.....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddo
cs/deployguide/sdcce_term_overview.asp?frame=true

--
Vera Noest
MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
--- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---

"Luis Falch Rojas" <lfalch@info-arch.com> wrote on 11 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hi Group..
>
> It is possible deploy software under Terminal Server 2003? can
> some body recomend this, or is a bad idea?
> thanks...
>
> Luis Falch
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thanks Vera..
I know it is possible to deploy software under TS environment, My question
is if we can use Terminal Server to deploy more than one proyect, 3 or 4. TS
users will be programmers, the idea is to buy one big server, and use thin
client for deploy different applications using VB6 in one, VB .NEt in other,
Fox in other and C# in other proyect. All proyects use Source safe, and in
all proyects programmers share some ocx and dll's, but in same cases ocx and
dll version is diferent. For compilations of exe files, ocx and dll's must
be in a specific folder that is not accesible by users of other proyects,
and so...
when users use Source Safe to save source code for a specific proyect, some
times delivery folder is changed due to another user was using source safe
too.
All TS users are programmers, and testing users. All are domain users, and
are part of Local Administrator group of the Server. I setup folder access
at a folder level.
Performance is good, work is good, but deploying different proyects we found
problems listed.
Still be a good idea?

thanks..

Luis F.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
news:Xns9616E26BB8567veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16...
> Could you be a bit more specific, Luis?
> Why would it be a bad idea to deploy software on a TS? If it was, why
> would Terminal Services have been developed at all? I've always
> thought that that was the main idea behind TS.....
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddo
> cs/deployguide/sdcce_term_overview.asp?frame=true
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Luis Falch Rojas" <lfalch@info-arch.com> wrote on 11 mar 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
> > Hi Group..
> >
> > It is possible deploy software under Terminal Server 2003? can
> > some body recomend this, or is a bad idea?
> > thanks...
> >
> > Luis Falch
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

OK, that's a totally different issue.

I would *not* recommend this. Software developers have very non-
standard needs, one of them is usually that they are Administrators
on the machine they are working on.

The risk that they will be screwing up for each other while doing
their work seems enormous to me, and that is actually what you
already have noticed.
It will also slow down their work. Every time their aplication does
something unexpected or crashes, they will have to port it back to
a private PC and try it there, to eliminate the problem of sharing
system files with other developers who might have modified them.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
--- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---

"Luis Falch Rojas" <lfalch@info-arch.com> wrote on 14 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Thanks Vera..
> I know it is possible to deploy software under TS environment,
> My question is if we can use Terminal Server to deploy more than
> one proyect, 3 or 4. TS users will be programmers, the idea is
> to buy one big server, and use thin client for deploy different
> applications using VB6 in one, VB .NEt in other, Fox in other
> and C# in other proyect. All proyects use Source safe, and in
> all proyects programmers share some ocx and dll's, but in same
> cases ocx and dll version is diferent. For compilations of exe
> files, ocx and dll's must be in a specific folder that is not
> accesible by users of other proyects, and so...
> when users use Source Safe to save source code for a specific
> proyect, some times delivery folder is changed due to another
> user was using source safe too.
> All TS users are programmers, and testing users. All are domain
> users, and are part of Local Administrator group of the Server.
> I setup folder access at a folder level.
> Performance is good, work is good, but deploying different
> proyects we found problems listed.
> Still be a good idea?
>
> thanks..
>
> Luis F.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
> news:Xns9616E26BB8567veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16...
>> Could you be a bit more specific, Luis?
>> Why would it be a bad idea to deploy software on a TS? If it
>> was, why would Terminal Services have been developed at all?
>> I've always thought that that was the main idea behind TS.....
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/p
>> roddo cs/deployguide/sdcce_term_overview.asp?frame=true
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Luis Falch Rojas" <lfalch@info-arch.com> wrote on 11 mar 2005
>> in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>>
>> > Hi Group..
>> >
>> > It is possible deploy software under Terminal Server 2003?
>> > can some body recomend this, or is a bad idea?
>> > thanks...
>> >
>> > Luis Falch
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Windows 2000/NT 8
T Windows 2000/NT 4

Similar threads