deploying paches

Hi !

What is the best tool to install security patches automatically on all
the servers and pc in the local lan? ( I now that in windows 2000 u can do
in throw group policy but I am looking for a tool that will check on
microsoft servers for patches relevnt for each pc/ server

Look into SUS - Software Update Services. Free from Microsoft.

sancho wrote:
> Hi !
>
> What is the best tool to install security patches automatically on
> all the servers and pc in the local lan? ( I now that in windows 2000
> u can do in throw group policy but I am looking for a tool that will
> check on microsoft servers for patches relevnt for each pc/ server

the problem with SUS is that I need to go to each server/pc and double click
the icon on the system trey " that says new updates are ready to install"..

I want tham to install automatically

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Look into SUS - Software Update Services. Free from Microsoft.
>
> sancho wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > What is the best tool to install security patches automatically on
> > all the servers and pc in the local lan? ( I now that in windows 2000
> > u can do in throw group policy but I am looking for a tool that will
> > check on microsoft servers for patches relevnt for each pc/ server

I have little experience with SUS but AFAIK that isn't the way it's supposed
to work. Overview of SUS here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

sancho wrote:

> the problem with SUS is that I need to go to each server/pc and double click
> the icon on the system trey " that says new updates are ready to install"..
>
> I want tham to install automatically
Hi

With AU configuration set to 4, this will only be an issue for SUS
if a local admin is logged in when the install time comes up.

There is actually a workaround for this local admin notifications:

From: "Don Cottam [MS]" <donco@online.microsoft.com>
Subject: How to disable AU pop-ups and tray icon
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:15:21 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

found at
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=O6knypt1CHA.1612%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

Fyi, there is a separate newsgroup for SUS:

microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

URL to the group softwareupdatesvcs for those who uses the Web
interface to access the newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

A Web site about SUS with a FAQ and a SUS forum:
http://www.susserver.com/

More SUS Web sites:
http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/sus/faq.html
http://www.faqshop.com/sus/default.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

What is AU configuration set to 4 ?

THX

sancho wrote:

> What is AU configuration set to 4 ?
Hi

That is to configure the SUS client for autodownload and autoinstall
(this is also the only setting that will make SUS install updates
even for non-admin users).

Below is an excerpt from the "Software Update Services Deployment
White Paper":

</quote>
AUOptions

Range = 2|3|4.
2 = notify of download and installation
3 = automatically download and notify of installation
4 = automatic download and scheduled installation.

All options notify the local administrator.
</quote>

See the chapter "Configuring the Automatic Updates client software"
in the white paper for more details.

Download link for "Software Update Services Deployment White Paper"
(SUS_Deployguide_sp1.doc) can be found under "More Information" at