Dept. of Defense to Announce Cybersecurity Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Seems to me that there planning is a bit backwards!...
To say something like "the U.S. Department of Defense’s most expensive weapons program to date" and then to have gaping security holes (as it sounds) after actually having data that needs to be secured seems just ridiculous to me!

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Why do these companies that have government contacts have such sensitive data on computers that can see the general internet? This is what makes no sense to me.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
wait... We didn't have any type of cyber security before? It was just sort of whatever security measures the project leader happened to think of? What are we in? the 50's?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
by the way its not just them, banks and others are doing transactions over the internet, so just keep that in mind when you go to your atm machine and do something. the servers are on the internet open to anyone.

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
If toms followed up on the story it seems it was bogus. Every other news service says it didn't happen and it was just a few overzealous people inside the company and in the government that went all sensationalist. It didn't happen.

As to the cyber command... we already have one in the air force this must be a DOD level one (though they have that already too). Gee good thing Obama knows how the government works authorizing all this wasteful spending.

G

They should get on time warners tier program so they know when they reach 100 gb of data transfer.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]If toms followed up on the story it seems it was bogus. Every other news service says it didn't happen and it was just a few overzealous people inside the company and in the government that went all sensationalist. It didn't happen.As to the cyber command... we already have one in the air force this must be a DOD level one (though they have that already too). Gee good thing Obama knows how the government works authorizing all this wasteful spending.[/citation]

Don't forget congress, their the ones that put forth and approve most spending, not the president. But that's besides the point.

How can you think more cyber security is a "waste" of spending? IMHO the more people we have to defend against cyber threats the better.

Considering that America as a whole is almost fully dependent on the internet I can't see how anyone could think that more security is a "Waste of spending" when it comes to defending the internet and it's users.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]audioee[/nom]Why do these companies that have government contacts have such sensitive data on computers that can see the general internet? This is what makes no sense to me.[/citation]

What do you think the name "Joint Strike Fighter" indicates. This is a program that will assist the United Kingdom, Norway, Australia, Canada, and Italy in replacing their aged fighters.

[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom] because they are morons[/citation]
.......I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

G

Don't they already have security analysts and threat experts? I sense some Draconian surveleiance extending beyond the DoD's intranet with this one.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
What we need is a serious overhaul of our physical infrastructure with security in mind. Its like Zavoi said in the interview, a dedicated team of hackers able to shut down the entire internet in the US in ~30 minutes (which i have no doubt is true). Thats just madness.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]audioee[/nom]Why do these companies that have government contacts have such sensitive data on computers that can see the general internet? This is what makes no sense to me.[/citation]

Because that's what the internet was for, not for us to sit around and poke fun at them.

G

Geeze you people. Do some research before you post:

http://www.jsf.mil/program/prog_intl.htm

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program is an Internationally oriented program consisting of partnerships with a number of countries. See below for links to the transcripts of the signing ceremonies of the official partnership of each of the programs cooperating partners:

United Kingdom (signed 17 Jan 2001 for $2B)
Italy (signed 24 Jun 2002 for $1B)
Netherlands (signed 17 Jun 2002 for $800M)
Turkey (signed 11 Jun 2002 for $175M)
Canada (signed 7 Feb 2002 for $150M)
Australia* (signed 31 Oct 2002 for $150M)
Denmark (signed 28 May 2002 for $125M)
Norway* (signed 20 Jun 2002 for $125M)

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The F-35 JSF program is a replacement for the aging F-16, F/A-18, A-6 Intruder (which has already been retired), and the AV-*B Harrier, depending on whether it is the Air Force, Navy or Marine Corps variant. It also will give the Navy something stealthy, since every previous stealth program they have proposed has been canned. The version sold to foreign governments will be missing most of the stealth features, namely by missing the radar-absorbent material, but stealth functions inherent to the airframe design will remain.

Of interest on a computer technology site like here is that the F-22 and F-35 are sealthy but have a curved design, unlike the F-117. The reason is the limits of computing power then the F-117 was designed (late 1970s) versus now.

kategra84

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
this is all planed, the attack - Now they can justify more spending;
terrorist attacks are harder to imitate so cyber atacks can be faked more easaly

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Yes, because there would never be a real actual cyber attack and no one would ever try to steal that kind of information, right? Governments don't actually spy on each other, they all just make it up to justify spending. [/sarc]

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pureandsimple724[/nom]Geeze you people. Do some research before you post:http://www.jsf.mil/program/prog_intl.htmThe F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program is an Internationally oriented program consisting of partnerships with a number of countries. See below for links to the transcripts of the signing ceremonies of the official partnership of each of the programs cooperating partners: United Kingdom (signed 17 Jan 2001 for $2B) Italy (signed 24 Jun 2002 for $1B) Netherlands (signed 17 Jun 2002 for $800M) Turkey (signed 11 Jun 2002 for $175M) Canada (signed 7 Feb 2002 for $150M) Australia* (signed 31 Oct 2002 for $150M) Denmark (signed 28 May 2002 for $125M) Norway* (signed 20 Jun 2002 for $125M)[/citation]

Thanks for claifying that for me.... I was ready to flame him so hard....

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
ok they just want money to start up cyber command, since the new toys were supposedly compramised, they want more toys, i wonder where the anthrax came from? the chinese, the russians, al'qaeda?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think this is just a ploy to add restrictions on internet usage by the government. You would have to be a moron to have classified information on an open network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS