Deskjet 880|882 on XP/USB 2

I have a DeskJet 880, which works fine on a Win98 box, connected to the
USB 1.x port. Move it to a new XP box, USB 2, and it won't work. It
prints part of a page and then chokes. I can't find updated drivers for
XP other than the system-supplied ones; I tried several other DJ 8xx
series printer drivers, and get the same result with all of them.

Could this be because the faster data rate on the USB 2 port is swamping
the printer?

I tried googling this group's archives and HP's support site without any
success.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

On 03 Sep 2004 in comp.sys.hp.hardware, Joe Makowiec wrote:

> I have a DeskJet 880, which works fine on a Win98 box, connected to
> the USB 1.x port. Move it to a new XP box, USB 2, and it won't
> work. It prints part of a page and then chokes. I can't find
> updated drivers for XP other than the system-supplied ones; I tried
> several other DJ 8xx series printer drivers, and get the same result
> with all of them.
>
> Could this be because the faster data rate on the USB 2 port is
> swamping the printer?
>
> I tried googling this group's archives and HP's support site without
> any success.

For the record, I tried plugging the printer into what I assume is a USB
1.1 port, and the printer is working fine now.