Deskjet 970cxi cartridge doesn't work

Hello,

I've plugged in a NEW (however, archived) color cartridge which was
very expensive when I bought it but it doesn't work.The orange
cartridge indicator LED blinks, blinks, blinks. And I cannot print in
color.

I guess the reason is the built in expiration date that I've read of
in numerous magazine articles. The box shows "Jan 2003" as date.

Is there a way to make my cartridge work?

I am sure it's okay, but I HATE HP forcing us to buy new expensive
cartridges and not allowing us to archive cartridges for later use. Is
there a way to get it replaced in computer stores and what do
attorneys say about this organized anti-consumer behaviour, this money
destruction?

Thanks
Ossi

"Oskar Wild" <spam@no.thx> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've plugged in a NEW (however, archived) color cartridge which was
> very expensive when I bought it but it doesn't work.The orange
> cartridge indicator LED blinks, blinks, blinks. And I cannot print in
> color.

There is nothing in the cartridge or printer that would cause it to disable
itself when it is expired. There are some normal things that can deteriorate
in storage, especially if the cartridge was stored at high temperatures.

My guess would be you have an interconnect issue. See the following:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

Regards,
Microsoft MVP

In article <93l770p9k22h9v4r9qqm38l6jpvn2qmsfm@4ax.com>,
Oskar Wild <spam@no.thx> wrote:
>I've plugged in a NEW (however, archived) color cartridge which was
>very expensive when I bought it but it doesn't work.The orange
>cartridge indicator LED blinks, blinks, blinks. And I cannot print in
>color.
>
>I guess the reason is the built in expiration date that I've read of
>in numerous magazine articles. The box shows "Jan 2003" as date.
>
>Is there a way to make my cartridge work?
>
>I am sure it's okay, but I HATE HP forcing us to buy new expensive
>cartridges and not allowing us to archive cartridges for later use. Is
>there a way to get it replaced in computer stores and what do
>attorneys say about this organized anti-consumer behaviour, this money
>destruction?

I wouldn't be so sure it's OK. Remember, the ink sets by drying, and it
is stored in liquid form in the cartridge, and there are all these holes
in the cartridge (nozzles and air-balance) that let water vapor out. So
the ink gradually dries out in the cartridge. The manufacturers (all of
them, not just HP) manage a decent balance between having the ink be too
watery when brand new and having it remain liquid enough to squirt for
a year or more. If you want indefinite shelf life, you'll have to pay
more for less-permeable ink containers and plan to store them in a water
bath - a very clean water bath so it doesn't corrode the electronics.

If you store a cartridge long enough, the electrical contacts will
corrode even in air. I suppose you could try the contact-cleaning
instructions from HP's website.

Sometimes these annoyances aren't deliberate; they come from fundamental
laws of chemistry. If you don't like the expiration time of inkjet
cartridges, you could buy a laser printer. The laser toner is a solid
and does not dry out.

Try holding it under very hot water.